Loving Gem

Chapter Ten

Loving Gem

September 12, 2008

Definitive Sighting: Negative.

Have suspicion contact already made. Scope and scale of breach unknown. Naruto sensed void but unable to track.

Reported low pitched screaming?

Related?

-K

xxxxxx

"You're being reckless, Toneri, taunting the Jinchuuriki."

Cobalt eyes moved slowly to the dark figure creeping awkwardly through the surrounding shadows. Toneri leaned against a softly swaying tree, watching with morbid amusement, the unnatural gait of the man. It was the dead of night on the outskirts of the Village Hidden in the Leaves. The midnight woodland rendezvous was one he had had often since his arrival in Konoha, though the man before him had differed much since their last meeting two weeks ago.

Pale and emaciated, the body that had once been plump and tanned now looked unbearably thin and fragile. The perfectly pressed, beige garb he wore swamping the thin body encased. The loose fitted shirt hung from skeletal shoulders, belted pants sagging on gaunt, square hips.

"I could say the same for you, Toriyama. Allowing that carcass to deteriorate so quickly and so blatantly," Toneri shook his head in feigned disappointment, "What might our eccentric leader say to such gross disregard for the rules of this little game."

The man's visage contorted in rage, the hollow planes of his sunken face standing out sharply under the light of the moon.

"He plays at the peril of us all!" he spat, "Cyilo draws near! Even a half blood like you should be able to hear him by now."

Toneri shifted, gazing off into the twinkling night sky.

"I hear him." the silver haired man agreed, ignoring the insult of his parentage.

"Then you know we have to move now. She is no longer a threat and no longer a viable harvest," the bony man insisted, "The Hyuuga, we can use the Hyuuga instead. It won't be perfect but its the only chance we have."

"Toju-sama has not made clear what he intends for us to do."

"He is no longer fit to head this Clan. He is delusional and frivolous. His madness grows with each passing day, rivaling that of Cyilo."

Toneri closed his eyes, listening silently to the tirade he had heard more than once.

"He thinks himself immortal, a God," the dark eyed man sneered, "there are no Gods, there is no immortality. WE are not immortal."

The man occupying the stiff body jerkily wiped a hand over his mouth, the appendage trembling.

"We have been brought low, lower than low by these cattle. Hiding among them like fearful sheep. It is beyond disgraceful. I should have come back sooner," he lamented, glaring down at his gnarled hands,"I should have taken my chance rather than succumb to this weakness."

"You speak of treason," Toneri softly admonished his angry Clan member, "The little seed you planted here years ago is the only reason the Clan Head has not killed you and yet you continue to toe the line of a second betrayal."

"Shut your mouth, half breed!" he barked, ungainly form jolting forward, "You are nothing more than an ignorant child. You defend a Clan Head you have never even met! You know nothing. Cyilo is-"