12

Giyuu's pov. 

The hideous snake demon's haunting presence was dying down, relief was settling into Giyuu. The severed head landed in Sanemi's hands but fell. Its eyes filled with tears and exasperation. To him, slaying demons was merely a duty to pay tribute for Urokodaki-san, Sabito, Tsutako, and of course, Oyakata-sama. To this day, he lives with the guilt of having survived the 'Final Selection', with which Sabito had to sacrifice his life with. By the virtue of the event, he keeps to himself and never finds happiness easily. 

Slaying demons is nothing he felt something to be exciting about, yet with Sanemi's assistance in defeating the demon, something arose out of him. It felt "fun". He knew this was wrong, but he could not but feel this way while the Wind Pillar was fighting with him. He felt his heartbeat thump from not of the lack of breath he felt, but rather something else. He felt like this before with Sanemi, it felt unsettling in a good way. 

"Tomioka."

"Yes, Shinazugawa." 

"Argh... Well, I just wanted to say..."

Sanemi ruffled his white hair with his hand looking away from Giyuu's face. His expression looked a bit annoyed as it always was, but this time it looked a little different from usual. He didn't look as angry. 

"Good. Job."

"Thank you. I think you did a great job as well."

"Ha! I think I did more than just a great job. More impressive than anything."

Giyuu nodded as he obliviously gave a small but genuine smile to Sanemi, not expecting anything out of the other. He saw Sanemi's reaction, as his face lit up with shock. Sanemi put a hand on his face and turned in the opposite direction of Giyuu's. He stood there for a while. 

"What's wrong Shinazugawa?"

Sanemi turned back to face him his sleeve was covering his face. Giyuu had never seen him like this. It made him seem vulnerable. 

"Nothing's wrong, it's just I've never seen you smile before." 

"Oh. I was smiling?"

Is that why he's covering his face? It must be embarrassing for my face to look like that. 

"Yes." 

"That's..."

"Well, It just looks like the Water Hashira is not as lifeless as he seems."

"Those are quite generous words for you to say."

"Yeah, yeah."

The sun's rays were seeping through the window they stood sideways to. Sanemi put his sleeve down. The night had gone its way. The soft light shone on them both, where the demon had become fully disintegrated. It was now just both of them again. Giyuu scanned into Sanemi's face, his sight becoming clearer. The light made his face warm and soft, something he has never seen of him before. He felt his own cheeks rise in temperature, presuming it to be the warmth of the sun. Giyuu walked up closer to Sanemi as an idea popped up in his head. 

"Shinazugawa, would you like to watch the sunrise with me outside?"

"What! Now, why would I'd like to do that?"

"It's fine. You don't have to."

"Hmm... I will consider it because you put me in your care."

"So, then."

"Yeah, fine. I will go with you."