24

Sanemi's pov.

Steadily, Sanemi took a fast pace through the chilly damp forest, traveling with anticipation towards Headquarters. His eyes were fixed on the yellowing fields of the grassy forest terrain, not caring if his feet became drenched from the melted snow puddles. In the distance, he heard another kasugai crow screeching out something that he could not entirely hear. It reminded him of something or someone, but he couldn't put a pin on it.

Not long after, Sanemi arrived upon the sacred grounds of the Demon Slayer's Headquarters. In the past, he had been foolish here, sometimes angering and upsetting the other Hashira with his cruel words. This was especially true for Giyuu, since Sanemi used to taunt him with bitter and hateful words. It was entirely unforeseen to him that he would fall deeper and deeper for his loving devotion towards Giyuu.

I wondered what would happen if Oyakata-sama never assigned us together...

He saw only six of eight present Hashira, including himself: Tengen, Gyomei, Muichiro, Mitsuri, and Obanai. He did care about the absence of Insect Hashira, as it would be the loss of another Pillar, like the great and lively Kyojuro. However, he placed all of his worries on the nonexistent sight of Water Hashira. He could only hope that Giyuu was alive and well.

Sanemi joined the end of the line beside Obanai, not saying a word. He looked straight ahead, expecting Oyakata-sama's arrival. In the event, that Giyuu really did not show up, he would have to start looking for him, whether he was alive or dead. Sanemi meant it when he had said these words to Giyuu: "I'm crazy about you... Giyuu. Everything you do, I obsess over. I want you... More so now than ev- ever."

I won't be gentle with my feelings this time...

"Shinazugawa, It's a sight to you so... quiet," Obanai suddenly said.

"Yeah, some shit happened," Sanemi replied.

"Even so, you don't seem like your usual self. I'm skeptical of something..."

"And what is that?"

"I think you found someon-"

"It's quite unusual to see Kocho late! I wonder if her mission was a harder one. It would be a shame if someone as cute as her wouldn't come! Mitsuri exclaimed as she blushed.

"As per usual, Tomioka is late. How unflashy!" Uzui spoke as he flashed his teeth and smiled.

If you only knew the whole story...

"I only hope that they are safe and out of danger. Namu-Amida Butsu." Gyomei prayed as tears flowed down his face, rubbing the red string of beads in his hands.

"What's happening again?" Muichiro asks as no one gives him a reply knowing he would forget again.

"I wonder what brings us here for a meeting?... Would you happen to know Shinazugawa? Your face reeks of suspicion." Obanai asked with curious intent.

"Ohh? Hehe." Mitsuri loudly whispered.

"I'm not in the fucking mood for your small talk, Iguro," Sanemi replied angrily.

"I guess we'll find out then..." The Serpent Hashira said.

"Oyakata-sama has arrived," the master's two white-haired older twin daughters, Hinaki and Nichika, announced in unison.

Immediately, Sanemi and the other Hashira knelt down on one knee and bowed in the presence of Oyakata-sama in respect. His footsteps became louder as he approached. 

"The weather indeed feels colder, winter is soon to arrive," The master said weakly.

"Will shall all move inside for your convenience, Oyakata-sama," Sanemi said with concern. 

"I should enjoy this cool weather anyways before the snow falls heavily. You should as well, Sanemi."

"Indeed, Master."

"It has come to my attention that there has been an increased sighting of demons all throughout the country. I would be grateful if each one of you could relay your recent activity regarding demons. It may help if we focused on certain areas where they lurk the most."

"Yes, Master," the Hashira said in unison. 

"Please, starting with you Tengen."

Sanemi's mind goes blank from then, blurring out Tengen's words. He stared into thin air, waiting and waiting for Giyuu's arrival. Each of the Hashira spoke and when it was his turn he didn't even notice. 

"Shinazugawa. Hey! Shinazugawa! Master is talking to you. Reply!" Obanai angrily said.

"I apologize Oyakata-sama," Sanemi quickly responds as he snapped back into reality. 

"Please tell us."

"The last time I encountered a demon was in a forest near Tomioka's home. I had stubbornly followed a strange cold path, with no sword. I fell unconscious when an icy cold feeling filled my lungs. I woke up in darkness with a blindfold and my legs bound to my chest. The floor was wet to the touch. I broke through the icy bounds and ripped the blindfold off my face. I was in a small house. I found the exit and found the strong presence of the demon. In an instant, I knew I was no match but insisted on fighting him. In the open forest, I found him and I became severely injured. Tomioka arrived and found a solution... I do not remember much else as I was unconscious. I believe it was Tomioka who kept me away from the scene as I ended up in an inn several days later. I'm truly sorry Oyakata-sama. I could not get rid of the demon which was Upper-Rank Two."

Everyone looked at him surprised at his story as it was very unexpected coming from him the Wind Pillar. They looked like they had so many questions about the things he left unsaid such as why he was near Tomioka's home, why he was swordless, and the solution Tomioka used. Oyakata-sama was about to reply until shuffling steps were heard. 

"Oyakata-sama, I am sorry we are late," Giyuu said as he supported Shinobu's nearly dead and bloody body.

Hi everyone! I had found out for a while that my fanfic had been stolen without my consent onto another website and I have no way of taking it down. I became unmotivated knowing that they would publish it. I also heard they make money off of published stories. If you know any of these websites that publish stolen stories, please try not to go on. They may cause viruses as well. Even if they take my story, I will still try to update regardless! Stay tuned <3