Chapter 5

Hazel finished her dinner silently and moved to the den to read her new book. Cole had gotten it for her last week, and she hadn't gotten time to read it yet. She found the den to be private and consoling, which was just what she needed. The room had navy blue walls with a stone fireplace in the middle. On top of the mantel, hung a large TV. Facing the fireplace was a matching navy blue, leather, L-shaped couch. Behind the couch was a bar with two tall circular barstools. A pool table sat in the corner of the room. Hazel read for an hour, before standing up to stretch. She moved to the bar and grabbed a glass of water. Standing at the circular tables, she remembered why she was hiding out in the den in the first place.

Suddenly, her hands began to shake. The world felt like it was closing in on her. Like she was going to wither up and die. Her body began to tremble, her breathing labored. A dark hole appeared in her vision.

"No no no no no. Not now. Come on Hazel." She shook so hard that she dropped her water and the glass shattered on the floor. She winced at the sound.

"Count backwards from 100 by 3's. Come on Hazel." She took ragged breaths and gripped the table for support. The room started spinning. She had trouble standing. "100...97...94...90-90-91..." Hazel started to cry. "No. Come on." She was not going to cry.

More spinning. Things felt like they were closing in on her. She felt like she was dying.

Her body shook harder, breathing became a challenge.

~~~~~

Cole heard glass shatter. He turned, all senses alert. "Did anyone hear that?" He whispered into his COMMS.

"Hear what?" Reed asked.

Cole caught a glimpse of something through the blinds of the den window. He stumbled. "Oh no."

Hazel stood in there, clearly having an anxiety attack and no one knew. If that continued, she might do fatal damage to her body.

Cole ran to the entrance of the house. "Someone cover for me! Kaden, go outside!" He shouted.

Frantic voices came over the line, "What's happening?"

"She's having a panic attack. Let me handle this." He glared at Kaden for not paying attention to Hazel as he passed him.

Tearing out the earpiece in his ear, he ran for the den faster than Usain Bolt.

Hazel was having trouble standing, and her breathing was awful. Please God, I don't want to perform CPR.

"Hazel!" He caught her as she started to fall and carried her to the couch. "Shh."

She shook like crazy, and hot tears streamed down her cheeks. He grabbed her hands and tried to control the shaking. He was trained for this. She needed a distraction. "Did you see that Reed made pie for dessert?"

Hazel shook her head and tried to control her breathing. That was good.

"That's it, keep breathing. You're okay. And yes, Reed did make pie. I must say he's an excellent baker. I think it's apple pie. I could be wrong. Do you like apple pie?" Cole wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"Yes." Her voice was shaky.

"Oh good. I hoped you did because Kaden is allergic to fruit and other guys don't really like sweets. So someone needs to put the pie to use."

Hazel took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Cole?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you."

"Anytime." He rubbed her shoulder. "Are you going to be okay?"

"I think so. How did you know distracting me was the best idea?" Hazel wiped her tears and sniffed.