Chapter 11

Cole spent the rest of the evening talking on the phone with people. Hazel was in and out of his bedroom doing what she did best. Offer prayers, a smile, a hug, and chocolate.

Hazel finally sat down on one of the chairs outside Cole's room. She gazed out the window talking with her Father. "You know, sometimes I wonder why you put such tough situations into our lives, then I realize that it's to make us stronger. Or it's to tell us to stop and listen to you. Cause I obviously didn't enjoy being shot at. Twice. But I'm safe and in one piece. That's most definitely something to praise you about. But Dad, Nicole. I don't know her personally, but I can tell Cole loves her more than anything. Why did you have to tear her apart? I'm trying not to be one to question you, but this doesn't seem fair. I just hope you have something better planned for her. I know that you did for me. Dad, Cole's pretty awesome." Hazel stood up and walked along the catwalk and continued to talk. "Dad, he stops my anxiety when he walks into a room. Nobody has ever done that before. Nobody. Also, he's pretty handsome. I'm surprised he's not married already. Do you think that maybe, just maybe you could take this relationship into consideration?"

"I definitely have." Cole stood by the door of his room, smitten.

Hazel stopped her conversation. "How long have you been listening?"

"Long enough to know that you think I'm handsome."

She blushed. "I said that?"

"I think your Dad likes me too." Cole took a step closer to her.

"My Dad loves everyone unconditionally." Hazel smiled.

"Do you call him Dad because you wanted it to be more of a less formal relationship?" Cole asked.

She hesitated, "Yes, and because I don't have a dad anymore. God took that place. Obviously since you were listening, you noticed our conversations are more than just prayers."

"Your relationship with him is worth more than gold, Hazel." His green eyes glimmered in the moonlight. Hazel stepped into his outstretched arms and rested her arms against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her hair. "Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?"

She leaned into his chest, "Probably."

"Well, in case it's been awhile; Hazel you are the most attractive, beautiful, gorgeous woman I've ever seen."

Her stomach did a triple flip. "You're just saying that."

"No I am not. I truly think you are the most attractive thing to walk on this planet." Cole pulled her back and looked straight into her eyes. "I really do think that. No, scratch that. I know that."

Her face broke into a huge smile. Dad, he means it. "If we're exchanging compliments, I must say when you walked into that house two months ago the reason that egg landed on the counter and not in the bowl was because I was so flustered with you. I did not expect you to be that good looking."

Cole laughed, "And here I thought it was anxiety."

She grinned. "You don't give me anxiety."

"I will if I keep you up any later. Go to bed Hazel." He kissed her quickly. "Sweet dreams."

"Goodnight Cole."

"Goodnight."

~~~~~

Cole woke up early in the morning. He was restless. He got up, went for a five mile run, showered, and settled in the living room with a cup of coffee to do some work.

James Whatcom. 5'11'', single, black hair, Caucasian, blue eyes, slender, shoe size 10. Last known sighting, Chicago, Illinois. Cole was betting that he had hired a shooter on them for both of Hazel's shootings. But, he could also be a lone ranger and be doing it on his own.

Cole did further research, then came up with nothing. He sent some information to Olivia, asking her to do more looking into Whatcom. She responded with a thumbs up, saying that Nicole was still sleeping and she'd look into it right away.

He did some paperwork about Hazel's safety and the procedures they were using. Fifteen minutes after that, he went to grab some Ibuprofen. This case was harder than it looks. Hazel's safety was concerning him, giving him a bigger headache. God, what if I can't protect her?

Olivia's later response almost gave him a heart attack. James Whatcom was a serial killer, responsible for nine deaths. And he was targeting Hazel. Wonderful.

Olivia called him. "Hey Cole."

"Hey." He said wearily.

"So, this dude is after Hazel?"

"Yes."

"Uh-oh."

"Uh-oh is right. Liv, don't mention this to Nic okay?"

"Of course I won't." The sound of a second voice could be heard. "Hi Jack. I missed you too. Yes, I still love you." Olivia laughed.

"Being engaged suits you." Cole grinned. His sister had been glowing recently. He wondered what marriage was going to do to her. Whatever it was, it would be good.

"I love him more than anything. Yes, Jack I meant you." Olivia drawled. "Oh, Nicole just woke up. I have to go now. Love you Cole."

"Love you. Bye."

"Bye."

Click.

Hazel moseyed on into the living room and sat across from him on the big, armchair. She was wearing navy blue leggings and an oversized light grey long-sleeve college shirt. Her fingers were twirling around her hair. "Morning."

He closed his computer and set all his stuff on the coffee table. "Morning, sunshine."

She smiled. "How long have you been awake?"

He looked at the clock. He had woken up at 6. "Four and a half hours. How long have you

been up?"

"For about ten minutes."

"The morning looks good on you."

She flushed. "Thank you." Pointing to his computer and papers, she continued, "Doing some work?"

Cole sighed, "Yes."

"What was that sigh for?"

Better tell her the truth. "James Whatcom is a serial killer who has killed nine people. You are supposed to be his tenth."

She sucked in a breath. "Oh. I thought he was only responsible for one murder."

"When you were defending his brother, yes, but since then he's killed more. I'm sorry Hazel."

He heard her mumble something like, "Dad, that's not fair." Then she looked at him, "Cole, am I going to die?"

He jumped at the question. "No, you are not going to die." Not on his watch.

Her hands started shaking. "What if I do?"

He flew off of the couch and pulled her up. She started to shake a bit more. "You won't die, I promise. Now, come with me." He led her to the piano room and picked out a new piece for her. "Why don't you play something?"

She blinked a few times, "That's a good idea. But can I do it by myself?"

"Of course." He hugged her, then left.