Chapter 12

Hazel spent the next three weeks raising her spirits. Things were starting to get boring. It was the beginning of August. Cole would leave every once and a while for other work things, as would Kaden and Reed. Non familiar faces were now protecting her here and there.

Her job was proving to be difficult. She couldn't do anything in person or in court, so she settled with simple things that she could help people with through a phone call. And paperwork. Tons of paperwork.

Summer in North Dakota on the farm was fun. She learned how to ride a horse, found little kittens in the barn, and hiked around the whole farm and woods. She wasn't complaining, but not being able to go shopping or out to eat stunk. On the bright side, her piano skills were skyrocketing.

She lay sprawled on the couch in jean shorts and a blue blouse, reading and feeling the warmth of the sun. Her phone rang and she set down her phone to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hi, this is Grace. Cole's sister."

Hazel broke into a smile. "Grace! This is Hazel. What a nice surprise."

"I can already tell why Cole likes you so much. You have such a pretty voice."

"Thank you."

"Your welcome. Now, I wanted to talk to you and get to know you. And I want you to get to know me. Because I have a feeling that we will be seeing more of each other in the future." Grace said.

"That would be wonderful. So, Cole tells me you have been married for around two years. Is that right?"

"Yes, I found the love of my life and am the happiest woman on the planet. And the happiest mother."

"That's right! You're the sister with the little boy?"

"Yes, his name is Aeden. He is the most adorable little boy, of course he looks just like his father."

"Hunter?"

"Yes." Grace confirmed.

Hazel and Grace continued to talk for the next hour and a half, chatting like old friends. Hazel learned a ton about Grace's previous career as a hostage negotiator. Then Grace told about her new part-time job as a secretary at the local Christian school. They continued to talk about careers, family, and other things.

When they finally ended their call, Hazel hung up smiling. Grace was a lovely woman and she could see how she was Cole's sister.

She walked around the house for the rest of the day, went on a walk with Kaden, who had gotten back from something earlier that day, then did some work in the evening.

She was sitting on the back porch enjoying the sunset, when a voice behind her caught her attention. "Guess who's back."

Hazel sprung off the swing and jumped into Cole's arms. "Cole!"

He spun her around. "I missed you. One week is too long."

"Way too long." She practically melted into his arms.

He moved them to the swing. They sat on it and he kept the swing rocking ever so slightly with one foot. "The sunset is almost as beautiful as you."

She leaned her head against his shoulder and let him wrap and arm around her. "You're too nice."

"Nicole's doing better."

"She is? That's great."

"I think she's gotten over the pain and the hurt but the loneliness is still there. What do women like that cheers them up?"

Hazel thought about it. "You to be there for them. Flowers. Chocolate. Definitely chocolate."

"I already gave her at least eight bouquets. I could send some chocolate her way. Now I'm feeling guilty about not being there."

"You could give her a phone call. The time change is only one hour, with us ahead." She suggested.

"I think I'll do that." Cole rolled his neck along his shoulders to ease some tension. "It's been a rough week."

"How so?"

"Well I went back to the office to do some desk work. I think there was about a foot tall stack of paperwork there. Then, we flew out to Georgia because Whatcom was sighted there. That was a false alarm. Then, Kade and I worked with Jack and Dom to do an even more extensive search for Whatcom. But we came up empty-handed. Then I visited Nic with Grace and Hunter. Then I went to Nevada to help another marshal with a job." Cole smirked, "I was in a shootout."

Hazel jumped a mile high, "A what?!"

"A shootout. I promise you I'm fine. Nobody got hurt." He reassured.

"I thought shootouts only happened in books."

"You're not wrong. They sometimes happen in real life. This was the third one I've been caught in. Hazel, I'm fine." He added when she paled. "I've never gotten hurt in one."

Dad, I'm not sure if I should be concerned or relieved. "That's good."

"Yes. Now relax, you're tense."

She blew out a long breath. "Okay."

~~~~~

Cole kissed Hazel goodnight then left her by the door of her room. He called Nicole, comforted her, prayed with her, then shared a laugh with her about their mother being so tired with her week of babysitting that she returned the wrong baby to the wrong parents.

Then, he did his nightly pushups, took a shower, and laid down on his bed. "God, I usually just pray in my head, but listening to Hazel have such a long, deep, out loud conversation with you makes me want to try it myself. First off, I wanted to thank you for keeping me safe during the Millers shootout. Second, I want to thank you for giving me the best family I could ask for. Third, I wanted to say, wow. Is this what love feels like? I think I'm falling in love with her. And I've only known her for about three to four months. I definitely don't believe in love at first sight unless your Dom, but wow God. Wow. Why is she so perfect? I can hardly contain myself. God, please tell me she is the one. Please." Cole took out his Bible and read the love chapter in Corinthians, then drifted off to sleep.

He woke up the next morning to something beautiful. The echoing sounds of a piano drifted through the house. And a voice. A singing voice. Hazel's voice. It was as pure as honey, dazzling as the stars and so breathtaking. Tale as Old as Time from Beauty and the Beast. Cole looked at the clock and realized Kaden had let him sleep in late. Very late. As in ten o'clock late.

He was content with Hazel's singing and took his time getting dressed. The sun was shining and he chose some cargo shorts with a simple t-shirt.

When he entered the music room, Hazel had just stopped playing with a flourish on the last note. "Morning Cole." She said without looking up.

"Where did you learn to play piano?"

"The foster house where I grew up required you to learn a music instrument. The piano intrigued me, so I tried it. I quit for a year out of anger when the foster family I loved so much decided not to adopt me. Then, after I was diagnosed with severe anxiety I went back to it and realized that music was my escape. Then I joined the school choir and played for them, as well as singing."

"That's wonderful. You truly are talented. Could you teach me how to play?"

She laughed, "You? Have you ever played any instruments?"

"I play the guitar but the piano sounds so amazing I want to learn. All I know is Chopsticks."

Hazel grinned, "A fan favorite."

"I'll say." He went to the piano and plucked out the song, smirking the entire time.