Chapter 16

Cole paced the room. Jack, Dominic, and Hunter were on a video call while Kaden and Reed sat on the couch. Some other agents including Annie Baker, Tyler Winthrop, and Connor Avery had flown out and joined them on the farm.

"All she left behind was a note?" Tyler asked.

"And she took my car." Kaden grumbled, "I paid for that myself."

Cole ignored him. "All she left was the note. She didn't hint she was leaving either. Just left. I have no clue where she would have gone."

Annie smirked, "Be logical. This is North Dakota. Its grass, some forests, and cities. She's a lawyer. She's smart enough not to go into the city and put her and innocent civilians in danger. Grass is an awful cover. That leaves the forests. Check all the nearby forests that amount to something. Even small ones."

"No, check the ones that would be used for hunting. She would most likely go to those, because there is a higher chance that there would be a hunting cabin she could stay at." Jack said.

Dominic shot him a look, "Since when did you get so smart?"

Jack shrugged, "Liv has rubbed off on me."

Hunter chuckled but didn't say anything.

Cole felt a stab of annoyance. And pain. These men were fine, they were just helping because of him. They had wives, children, a fiance, there was nothing for them to worry about. One of the best things to happen in his life had run away. He missed her smile and her music. He missed her, period.

"Checking all the forests around that are good for hunting..." Connor stared into his computer. "Ah. There are about five in the state that prove to be great hunting places. Not too many."

"Only five?" Hunter asked.

"It's North Dakota." Annie drawled.

Cole dismissed them. "We start searching now."

"It's dark already." Tyler pointed out.

"At sunrise then. Dom, can you get more people out to search? Maybe some agents from North Dakota's headquarters?"

"I can try."

"People owe him so many favors I'd be surprised if the President doesn't volunteer to help." Jack joked.

"Between Cole and Dominic, I wouldn't be surprised if he did." Reed grinned.

Cole shot them a tight smile, "Well then, we regroup in the morning. Take all the favors you can get. There are many acres to cover and only one Hazel Peterson to find."

"At dawn." Conner nodded.

"At dawn." Came the response.

People left, the video call ended. But as Cole was walking back to his room, Dominic called him. Cole sighed, "Yeah?"

"You seem off."

"All I said was 'yeah'".

Dominic scoffed, "I meant during the meeting. I can tell you're bothered."

"She's missing Dom."

"Then find her."

"What if we don't?" Cole snapped.

Dominic was silent for a moment. "We will."

Cole shook his head, "Just because your life is a happily ever after doesn't mean mine will be."

"Ouch."

He sighed, "Sorry. It's just, you remember when Chloe went missing?"

"I do."