Chapter 9

"North Dakota?" Hazel asked.

Cole shrugged. "Yes. A farm." Her sulky expression hurt. "Come on Hazel. What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Hazel."

She wiped her eyes. "I said nothing." Her voice choked.

Cole's heart hurt. A quick glance around the private plane told him they were alone. "Come here." He tugged her to him.

She sighed and relaxed in his arms. "This is harder than it looks."

"I know. But I'm here to be your sounding board, okay? Complain, yell, cry, or just simply talk." He kissed her hair.

"Thanks." Hazel straightened and turned her head to face him. "How much longer?"

That was a hard question to answer. "I don't know. I'd like to think I'm a pretty good Marshal, but this case is really tough. He's impossible to track."

"Oh." Hazel turned to look out the window of the plane. "Well on the plus side, private jets are pretty cool."

He grinned, "I may have pulled some strings so that this flight was enjoyable for you. It was going to be another helicopter."

"Thank you for doing that. Helicopter's give me anxiety." Hazel shuddered jokingly. "Can we talk about something that will make me forget my life for a minute?"

Cole smiled. She smiled back. God, she's so gorgeous. She is most definitely your daughter. "Sure. Better yet, why don't we play a game?"

"What game?"

"How about hangman?"

Hazel laughed, "I'm a lawyer. There are some big words I know."

"I happen to win at every game of hangman our family plays." Cole boasted.

"Oh, you do now do you?" Hazel smirked.

"Yes."

"Then let's see it in action, big brain."

"Very well m'dear."

Hazel grinned and pulled out a piece of paper. "You start."

~~~~~

Hazel followed closely behind Cole into the big acreage. They were miles from any houses - again - and settled on a nice ranch. There was a big, white modern farmhouse in the middle of the acreage, a barn to the right, a field to the left, and a small wooded area in back and more on both sides.

Kaden brought her bags to her room, Reed claimed the office as the Marshals' headquarters, and Cole pulled her to another room "Hazel. Piano." She gasped. In the room was a grand piano. Right in the middle. There were bay windows surrounding it, letting in tons of sunlight. In the corner sat a chair, simple and subtle. Cole sank into the chair. "I'll sit here and listen to you work your magic."

Hazel beamed. "This is wonderful."

"Now, find your music and play me something." Cole's smile melted her insides.

She quickly left the room, grabbed her piano music from the foyer, ran back into the piano room, and sat down on the bench. She opened the Disney music book and selected one of her favorites. Kiss the Girl from The Little Mermaid.

Her hands glided across the piano, hitting every note, despite it being a sightread. She poured her emotions into the song and felt the anxiety ease away. The sun warmed the keys and the whole experience was amazing. She could tell Cole was enjoying it as well.

The song ended and Cole moved to her. He held out his hand and she took it. He pulled her to her feet. "Hazel." Bending down, he kissed her tenderly.

She gripped the front of his shirt and leaned into the kiss, her heart in overdrive. When they pulled apart, she smiled. "What was that for?" She whispered.

"The song told me to kiss the girl. So I obeyed." He looked down at her.

Hazel laughed softly. "You're obedient."

"I am. And you-" He rubbed his thumb along her cheek, "are a great piano player."

"Thank you." Hazel let go of his shirt and smoothed it out, "How long have you been waiting to do that?"

"What, kiss you? Since lunch. But when we got so rudely interrupted and the rest of the day kinda backfired, I figured that it would have to wait. I also didn't want to mix up your emotions. And clearly, your anxiety disappeared as you played piano. Also, the music was fitting. You asked for it."

"I guess I can't lie that it was on my mind."

"Caught in the act." Cole smirked. She felt his hands on her back, warm and strong.

"Cole?" Kaden's voice echoed in the hall. "Hazel?"

Cole dropped his arms from around her. "Let me go see what he wants."

Hazel nodded and let him go. She smiled and sat down on the piano bench, basking in the sun. Dad, what did I do to deserve such an amazing man? Yes, I know it was just one kiss, but it seemed like more. I really like him, where is this heading? Also, thanks for keeping me alive earlier today. Dying by gunshot was definitely not on my to-do list. She chuckled to herself, at her dark humor.

"Hazel?" Reed stood in the doorway.

"Yeah?"

Your stuff is all in the master bedroom. For now, can you just stay in the house? I'm guessing you'll be able to go outside soon, but just be patient."

"Sure." She smiled at him. Then turned serious. "I hope I'm not getting in the way of anything in your personal life."

Reed shook his head. "Nope. This is my job. And besides, I have no wife to come home to. I live for this. And besides, you're a nice person. This is just like a vacation with some work in it."

"Well that's good. I guess."

Reed laughed at her blank expression. "Yes it is."