Chapter 7

Hazel stood in the entry waiting. She had changed out of her joggers and sweatshirt and chosen something more casual. She chose black skinny jeans (as usual) and a lightweight, lavender sweater. Her hair fell down to the middle of her back. She had chosen ankle boots with no heels to go with the ensemble.

She was excited to finally get out of the house. She intended to spend some money today. She hadn't paid a single penny for at least two months. At least on groceries and extras. Her bank account was thanking her.

"Ready?" Cole appeared at her side. She looked at him. He had on a pair of jeans as well, and what looked like a The North Face t-shirt. A windbreaker hung over his right arm. He looked amazing.

"I'm ready."

"Kaden, get over here." Cole called.

Kaden moved her left side, Cole on her right. They left the house together. Cole opened the door to a Toyota Camry and she slid in. Kaden went into the front passenger seat and Reed was in the driver's seat. Cole sat next to her in the back. The men spoke in hushed tones for a minute, then they were off.

Hazel kept her gaze outside, enjoying the sights of the mountains. She hummed along to the radio with Reed, but never looked away from the window.

"Hazel." Cole whispered to her, low enough that Reed and Kaden couldn't hear. They were having a conversation anyways so it didn't really matter.

She turned to look at him. "What?"

"You okay?"

She straightened. "I'm fine."

He raised a brow and looked at her hands. They were in tight fists and her knuckles were white. "No, you're not. It's anxiety isn't it?"

She nodded and looked down, embarrassed.

Cole took her hands in his and uncurled her fists. "Take a deep breath." He said quietly, soothingly.

She did so. Wiggling her fingers and toes, she felt the rising anxiety ease away. "Sorry."

"It's okay." He shifted gears. "So, the town has a bakery, a travel shop, a few clothing stores, and a book and music store. Where to first?"

"Book and music store." She answered without hesitation.

He grinned, "I thought so. The book and music store it is. I recommend you get some new piano music."

Hazel smiled, "Getting tired of Beethoven and Bach?"

"No. I want you to learn to play the song that was played at my brother's wedding."

"A wedding song?" She wrinkled her nose, smiling.

"Yes, minx, a wedding song." He tugged a lock of her hair.

"Fine, fine fine. I'll do it. If the store has it."

"They'll have it."

"Oh yeah?"

"Oh yeah."

~~~~~

Cole followed Hazel through the shop. She was like a kid in a candy store oohing and ahhing over everything. He enjoyed it. Kaden and Reed stood outside the store and across the street keeping an eye out. There were tourists looking around the town as well but they also had agents at the entrance and exit of the town. No one came in without clearance.

"Hazel, look at this. It's a book of classical Disney music. Piano music. And guitar chords." He held up the book for her to see.

She came over to him, "This is awesome!" She added it to the stack of things she was holding. He laughed as she finagled a book out of her stack for him. "I'm getting this for you."

Cole looked at the book. 101 Ways to Spoil Your Nieces and Nephews. "Where did you find this?" He flipped through the book and chuckled. "Way 25. Take them out of school for no reason at all. Hmm."

Hazel laughed. It was a gorgeous sound. "You'd be the favorite uncle."

"Is it worth Dominic or Hunter yelling at me?" He grinned.

"Maybe."

Laughing, he took the stack of books she was holding. "How many books do you need?"

She shrugged, "Those are by my favorite author. I don't own them. Figured I'd have time to read while I'm stuck. It's either reading or music."

"Okay then. Have you found everything you wanted?"

Hazel walked around the store once more, pausing every so often. When she came back to him, she nodded. "Yes."

"Sounds good. I'll bring these to the checkout. Oh, and in the back of the store is a book about a US Marshal. It's called Fallen Point or something. Could you look for it?"

"Sure, I'll go find it." She left him at the register to go find the book. When she came back she frowned, "I couldn't find it."

He shrugged, "Let's go eat then."

"But we have to pay for the books and music."

Cole grinned. "Already did."

She put her hands on her hips, "Cole! You didn't have to do that."

"It's fine. I wanted to." He moved some bags around and took her hand, "My way of saying sorry you're stuck here."

She was dumbfounded, "Fallen Point doesn't even exist. You just said that to distract me."

"Did I?" He asked innocently.

She laughed, "Whatever. Thank you."

"My pleasure."