Chapter 6

"Cole?" Kaden whispered.

Cole turned enough so that he could see Kaden and Hazel wouldn't wake up. "Yes?"

"Sorry."

His jaw tightened. "I forgive you."

Kaden gestured to the sleeping woman, "Will she be okay?"

"I think so. Hey, there's some glass over by the bar, can you clean it up?"

"Sure." Kaden left to go grab a broom and dustpan.

Cole turned his attention back to Hazel. She was so content when she slept. He was confident that their relationship was heading in the right direction, at the right speed. God, you scared me today with Hazel. Thank you for putting me in a place where I could help her. And thank you for our relationship. I think it's going where I want it to.

Cole slowly moved and picked Hazel up. The least he could do was get her to her bedroom for a good night of sleep. She was light as a feather as he walked down the hall to her room.

The room matched her character. The place was neat, clean, and organized. Her suitcase was sitting on a chair closed, most likely filled with her clothes. Her carry-on was sitting next to the dresser. On the nightstand was a phone charger, bible, pen, and notepad all neatly arranged.

He set her down on the bed and pulled a blanket over her. Bending down to kiss her forehead, he smiled, "Goodnight Hazel."

He closed the door quietly behind him and went to the living room to call his mother. She would enjoy meddling.

He dialed her number, "Hey Mom."

"Cole! What a nice surprise. We've missed you over here."

"I've missed you."

"How is the case going?" His mother asked.

"We have a strong lead, but no location on them. It's like they disappeared. But we'll find

them. We owe it to Hazel."

His mother made a few sounds he couldn't hear. "Oh, no honey. We're watching Lesley

tomorrow for Chloe. Yes, she has a house showing. No, her parents watched Lesley today. Yes, I'm watching Aeden on Sunday after church. Hunter is taking Grace for a nice lunch. Yes..."

Cole chuckled to himself. His mother was enjoying being a grandma way too much.

"Sorry Cole. What were you saying? Something about a Hazel? Is she the woman whom this is all about?"

"Yes and yes." Cole shifted the phone to his other hand. "You'd like her Mom."

He heard her laugh. "I'd say you two made friends right away."

"She's got Olivia's stubbornness, Nicole's wit, and Grace's spunkiness."

"Oh, she'd fit right in. Is she marriage material?" his mother queried.

"I figured that question would come around. I'll give you this - she's single. And beautiful." Cole grinned.

Somehow, he heard her smile. "It's about time you settled down. When can I meet her?"

"I think I'll bring her around one day. But Mom, we've only known each other about a month, so don't get your hopes up. My hopes aren't even up."

"Cole, I want nothing but the best for you. I appreciate you even telling me about her. But no matter what - she'll be a friend, so I would love to meet her. And Cole?"

"Hmm?"

"Thanks for letting me meddle."

He laughed, "You're welcome."

"I'm going to turn in over here. I love you so much Cole. Stay safe."

"I will. I love you too Mom. Goodnight."

"Night."

Click.

Cole flipped the phone in his hand and headed for his room. A quick glance at the clock told him it was only 10 PM. He wasn't too tired, and he had some thinking to do about the case.

He settled for doing push-ups while thinking.

~~~~~

Another month went by. Cole's team was able to get a hit on their murder brother. They also were able to get his name out of Hazel's system. James Whatcom. An eyewitness had spotted him in Montana, but a full search of the state proved them wrong. Now, for at least a week, all had been quiet. Too quiet.

Hazel sat on the couch, her feet tucked under her. She held a steaming cup of coffee in one hand and in the other, she twirled a pen. Her laptop was on her lap, a notebook next to her. She was deep in thought, oblivious to the world around her.

Kaden had finally let her sign into her computer, confident she couldn't be tracked on it. Now, she was catching up on two months worth of missed paperwork.

Fun.

She closed her eyes to try and get rid of the headache she could feel coming. Movement behind her caught her attention. "Hi Cole."

"Hi." He set his hands on her shoulders and started to rub out the knots.

She sighed, "I could sit here all day."

"Mhm." Cole rubbed for a minute longer and then came in front of her. He sat on the chair across from her. "Want to go on a hike?"

She sipped her coffee. "I've gone on a hike every single day for the past two weeks. I've even named all the trees. Can I go to town?"

Cole shook his head. "Hazel, it's not safe."

"But isn't that why you're here? So I can be safe? Then why all the security? Cole?" She quietly whispered his name when he looked away. It wasn't fair, her being stuck here. She was paying for someone else's actions.

"Not today." Kaden's voice was stern.

Hazel turned to Kaden. "Why not? Please?"

"I said not today."

She glared at Kaden. "I'm going."

"No. You're staying here." She saw his hands clench.

"Make me."

Kaden opened his mouth but Cole jumped in, "Kade! Watch yourself. Think logically. She's been stuck here for over two months now. Maybe going into that small, desolate town, with barely any people isn't the worst idea. She'll have security."

"Fine. But you're in charge of keeping her safe." Kaden turned on his heel and strode off.

Hazel turned to Cole, "I don't have to go."

He laughed, "You got on Kaden's nerves so bad he left the room to contain himself. You deserve to go."

She gave a small grin, "If you insist."

"I insist. Now, come on. Get ready, grab whatever you think you'll need, and meet me in the entryway in twenty minutes."