Chapter 13

Cole worked with Kaden for the rest of the day while Reed distracted/watched Hazel. Kaden groaned when he came back into the office and plunked down on his chair. "This woman is in major trouble."

Cole didn't look up from his computer and instead raised his eyebrows, "Thank you Captain Obvious."

Kaden grunted and shifted some papers on the desk, "The Marshals Service was mailed something."

"Oh? Hold on a second." Cole moved his laptop and pressed on an icon. "Say hi to Olivia." Olivia's face popped up on the screen. Then Jack's. "And say hi to Jack."

Kaden gave them a small smile. "Hi guys."

"I asked Liv to help and give us some help with those brains of hers. And apparently Jack was in the area. I wonder why." Cole made a funny face at Jack.

Jack grinned, "Just stopped by to see a friend. You know, just pop in and say hi. Congratulate her on being engaged. I heard he was a pretty cool guy."

"Yeah yeah yeah we get it, you love her. Honestly Jack, you're turning into Dominic." Cole gave him a knowing smile.

Olivia smiled from ear to ear, "I'm okay with that."

Kaden cleared his throat, obviously annoyed. "Ahem."

Cole shifted gears. "Right. Uh, Kaden had something to say."

"Right." Olivia smiled at Kaden, put on her glasses, and pulled her hair into a messy bun, distracting her fiance. "Go ahead Kaden."

"The US Marshals Services building in Denver was just sent a package with Hazel's return address on it. The package contained a small, handcrafted, wooden metronome. Also another note that said, 'I know where she is'." Kaden passed Cole a paper with the picture of the package and the contents.

Jack had his hand on Olivia's shoulder and Cole saw him tighten it and the knuckles whiten. "He even knows that the marshals were deployed from Denver. Cole, he really wants her gone."

Cole rubbed his eyes to ease away the pounding headache. "Let's keep this away from Hazel. She doesn't need to add to her anxiety."

"Agreed. Was there any way they would track the package? Other than the fact that it was sent from her home, I mean. Fingerprints, DNA strands, hair follicles?" Olivia asked.

"I suggested they contact you. The package has been handled properly and I told them to call you and have you check the thing out for that kind of stuff." Kaden told her.

Olivia nodded slowly, "I can do that."

"Is there surveillance on her house now?" Jack asked.

Kaden nodded, "I think so, but I'll double check."

"And the metronome belongs to her?" Jack asked another question.

Cole paused. "I'm guessing so. Which brings two more questions. How did he get into the house and get the metronome and how are we going to verify that the metronome does belong to Hazel? I guess I am going to have to tell her."

Olivia gave a weak smile, "Do it right after you kiss her good morning or something."

Cole stuck his tongue out at her, "Funny."

Jack grinned, "It works when I have bad news."

Kaden's jaw dropped. "Really Jack?"

"What?" He gave an innocent look.

Kaden brought them back to seriousness. "I'll make sure there's a strong security system and a guy watching her house 24/7."

"Also have someone watching the post offices in that area as well." Olivia added.