chapter 2

Nika's POV

"So Paul and Jared are coming over tonight" said Emily, mainly to Sam, but I raised a brow at them.

"Lahote?" I asked.

"Yeah" said Emily, with an amused expression on.

"I'm going over to Alex's" I announced.

"Oh come on, you can't be mad at him forever, he broke the heart of a girl you're not even friends with anymore" laughed Emily.

"It's so much more than that" I protested. "I know it's not exactly his fault, but what he did started the whole downfall of my life in high school. And I just simply don't like him. Did you know he once grabbed Beth's arm so hard it left a bruise?" I asked, already packing my stuff to spend the night at Alex's.

"You've been avoiding him ever since you've moved back" pointed out Sam. "He's a great friend of mine, Nika. And the guys have been dying to meet you."

"You mean your cult?" I asked, laughing. The shady business was still there in La Push, but I tried to stay out of it as much as I could. Instead, I was with Alex.

"Just so you know, Paul was the reason me and Bethany drifted apart in the first place. He hated when she spent time with us, became possessive and then Beth started ignoring me. I hated him when he was her boyfriend, but I hated him even more, when he left her without any explanation. So... I really have no desire to see him again. Do say hi to Jared for me, though. He must be nice, Embry told me about him."

Sam rolled his eyes, but didn't say anything as I walked out the door, with my bag in my hand. I called Alex.

"Hey babe, can I sleep at yours tonight?" I asked.

"Honey I told you, I'm at my father's tonight" he said, and I mentally facepalmed. "Why? What happened?"

"Nothing, just Sam's having guests over and I don't want to bother."

"Let me guess. Paul?"

"Yeah."

"Listen I dislike him too, but why are you this stubborn about him? Just give him a shot!"

"Because Beth deserved better."

"You and Beth don't even talk anymore."

"Still. Anyways, I just feel hatred towards him for some reason okay? And by the way, you should be happy. Because he's actually hot so you'd be in trouble if I liked him."

"Oh I see how it is" he said, but I could hear the amusement in his voice. We chatted for a few more minutes but then hung up, so I had to come up with a plan B. I decided to call Alice. She picked up the moment I pressed call.

"Nika! What's up?" She asked cheerfully.

"Hey... wanna uh... hang out?"

"Of course. Shopping?"

"Shopping" I agreed, laughing.

We went to a mall in Port Angeles, and had a lot of fun throughout the whole day. I liked Alice a lot. She was a fun friend. I arrived back home with two new dresses, a couple of T-shirts and a pair of shorts.

We talked about Alex, Jasper, Alice's family, how she had a great trip in Italy, and how they decided they were much better off in Forks.

She apologised and told me she couldn't take me home, but it was fine, as we ran into Leah, and I asked her to take me.

At first we were driving in silence, but I was desperate to strike up a conversation with her. She played a large part in my life when she was together with Sam.