chapter 12

"I want to see him" I said, walking around Port Angeles with Alice. She was buying things for Bella's wedding, and I was simply accompanying her.

"Any news of Jacob?" She asked, not willing to speak of Alex.

"He's alive. Please, Alice. I need to see him."

"It's not safe, Nika."

"You can be in the same room, protect me, I don't know."

"Alex is... quite fast."

"You're all fast" I shrugged.

"Yes, but... he's extraordinarily fast. And he's still stronger than us."

"You took on a whole army of newborns, Alice. What's one boy?"

"The difference is that we don't want to hurt him."

I remained silent.

"When will it be safe?" I asked, my voice breaking.

"First of all, he went through some serious brainwashing. His mind is all over the place right now. Not to mention, that your smell most likely intrigued him even before he turned. Now, as a vampire it would be deadly for him. And he has about... zero control."

"Alice, you can see the future. When will I see him?" I asked, trying to get her to stop beating around the bush.

"The wedding" she sighed.

"What??"

"That's the soonest I see you two together."

"What wedding?" I asked, realising I didn't even know of an engagement.

"Oh. Edward and Bella. 13th of August."

My heart dropped.

"That's far away."

"I know honey. But it's for the best."

Only then did I realise what she actually said.

"Wait, when did they even get engaged?"

"You need to start paying more attention" she laughed. "There's something else I wanted to talk to you about."

"What?"

"Before Victoria died... she asked about you."

"Asked what?"

"Just your whereabouts... then, we came to the conclusion that she blabbered so much because she didn't think her army could lose... She revealed that you're a part of a prophecy... well, more of a legend. Just like Kaure said. It's the Story of the Spirit Mother. It's a thousand years old story, and not very popular either."

"What does it mean?"

"It's about a woman, who comes from a long line of shapeshifters. Now, we all tend to forget that Sam's pack are not actually werewolves. They're shapeshifters. And you're a Uley, so even though you're not a wolf, you have the blood of the spirit warriors."

"I know. We had a camp fire thing... and Old Quil and Billy told a lot of stories. None about this mother, though..."

"Probably because this one is not specifically a Quileute legend. Carlisle did some research, and asked around some friends... Kaure was kind of right... the Spirit Mother was the wife of a very strong leader of a spirit warrior clan. This was way before wolves and vampires, this was the ancient times. The reason the story has so many variations, or at least Carlisle believes, is that every origin story of a supernatural species is rooted in the Story of the Spirit Mother. You see, Carlisle thinks of supernatural history as an ever-evolving and devolving timeline. Every now and then, new species are born, and at the same time, old species die out. Then Rosalie came up with something... This is all speculation, though."