chapter 16

Hunting was surprisingly fun.

The moment of digging my teeth into a living animal was strange and disgusting. Until I tasted the blood. It was almost like a custom-made beverage with the purpose to make me fulfilled. It scared me to an extent, but it made me content also. It was conflicting, and yet, I felt like I was born to do it. Drinking the red liquid from the poor dear. I felt guilt, for taking its life, but Jasper was quick to talk me through it; he told me to think of it as if I was ordering meat in a restaurant. Those animals had to die just the same.

But the best part was when Jasper and Rose took me up to the top of the mountains. The sun was barely out, but it was enough for me to see my own skin.

It was glowing. No, more like, sparkling. It made me feel like I was some kind of jewellery. A very expensive bracelet.

Jasper and Rose made me feel good about myself. I didn't hate the leech part as much as I suspected I would.

I had no idea how Sam was feeling about it, though.

Did he hate me? Did Paul hate me?

And what about my mom? I haven't spoken to her in almost half a year. I haven't even thought about her in a while, to be honest. I knew she loved the both of us, but she was never cut out to be a mother, hence my brother raising me. And yet, in a moment like this, I desperately wanted to know what she'd think of me. The woman who never really paid attention to me.

I needed someone to talk to. I needed to tell someone I turned into a creature that is the natural enemy of my brother and family. But there was no one that wasn't a vampire, as in, the natural enemy, or not a wolf, as in, those who might hate me now.

My friends in Forks, the human ones, weren't close enough for them to know.

Until I realised I had a human friend... only, she was on her honeymoon.

"Do you think I can call Bella?" I asked Rosalie, as we were sitting in the living room of the Cullen house. I didn't have my phone, I probably lost it somewhere between Alex biting me and being in deathly agony.

"Shouldn't you tell your family first that you're alive?"she asked.

"I think that's exactly why I want to talk to her first... she knows both vampires and wolves so much."

Rose nodded.

"Of course. She doesn't know yet, though, we didn't want to interrupt their honeymoon. Of course, if you need someone to talk to, it's quite different."

She disappeared and reappeared with a mobile.

"Bella's number is in it. Just be careful, we don't know what they're up to."

I hummed.

"I'll go for a walk, if that's okay" I said, taking the phone with me. I didn't want them hearing that conversation. Even though I knew Edward would probably hear it on the other side.

"You don't have to ask for permission" smiled Rose.

I thanked her and then zoomed out of the house. I ran, and ran, until I was far enough. Silence was around me in the small meadow which I reached. Of course, there was no real silence to my new ears. I could hear every breeze, every leaf moving, every fly buzzing, and every ant on the ground if I wanted to.

I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not.

I dialled Bella's number, and waited for her to pick it up. I almost hung up, because it took her quite some time. Maybe they were on a trip, or... having sex, who knew?

But then, her voice came through.

"Rose?"

She was surprised.