chapter 7

Sam was telling me about a bonfire, which was a Quileute tradition. He told me it was okay if I wanted to bring Alex along, but I felt like it was enough shock for him for a few weeks. Adjusting to so much information could be hard. Plus, I knew Bella was coming already. I though about her as a bit of an outsider, but she was mostly loved by the pack, and loved by Alice and Jasper, so I was more than okay with her company. She was a friend, after all. I spent a lot if time with her and Jacob before.

It was a great Sunday, but Jacob was sending me nervous texts all day. How he was worried about Bella.

"Ugh Emily?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"Did Jacob imprint on Bella?" I asked. She sighed.

"I get why you'd ask that. But no. He's just obsessed."

"Oh" I laughed. "Well anyhow, she seems pretty set on being with Edward."

"Yeah... but I think she harbours some kind of feelings for Jacob too. Like, when me and Sam got together... I knew his feelings for Leah weren't completely gone yet. They were just overlooked. I can imagine it the same way. I think Bella has feelings for Jacob, but compared to her much stronger feelings for Edward, they seem like nothing."

I nodded slowly.

"Yeah, I can imagine that. But... in this whole supernatural mess... do you think there's even a chance for regular love? Like... if you don't imprint you can still be in love, right?"

"Absolutely. I mean... Jacob's in love with Bella, isn't he?"

"Yeah, I guess."

Emily looked at me weirdly for a second, but then shook her head and continued her crosswords puzzle.

The door opened and Paul and Jared walked in, followed by Sam.

"Don't you guys knock sometimes?"

"I live here" said Sam with a smirk. I rolled my eyes.

"We also kinda live here" said Paul, shrugging.

"Well move then" I said grumpily.

"Would it hurt you to be a little nicer sometimes?" Asked Paul, taking me off guard.

"You're no ray of sunshine either" I bit back.

He was staring at me intensely, and he was visibly fuming.

"What, anger issues starting to kick in?" I asked.

"Don't taunt him" said Sam, but I was having too much fun. I was about to open my mouth, but Sam stepped in front of me. "Nika, you're playing with fire. You have no idea what consequences would it bear for you to push him like that. Or for him."

I looked behind him to see Paul with closed eyes. I knew he was trying to restrain himself from shifting.

"I'm sorry" I said quietly. His eyes darted open, and he stared at me for a few seconds. He slowly calmed down. I was reminded of that one time I was going to Alex's house and we met outside our house. He was just about to shift in anger as well, but then he just... stopped.

"It's okay" he mumbled, then walked off to the bathroom.

"You don't have to like him immediately" said Sam. "But try and be decent with him please."

I nodded, biting my lip.

"I'm not mean on purpose, I swear. It sometimes comes naturally and I can't stop my word vomit" I said awkwardly.

"Comes naturally, huh?" Asked Jared, with an amused look. I walked up to my room, texted with Jacob a little more, and he asked me if I was going to the bonfire too. I told him I obviously was, and he had no way of getting rid of me, no matter how hard he tried to escape to Bella.