chapter 6

For the next few weeks, the tensions were extremely high between the vampires and werewolves and Alice called to tell me that our trip had to be postponed. I was disappointed, but understood it. I couldn't wait to learn as much as I could about myself and the legends that Kaure lady knew, but I knew Alice had to take care of other things first. And their top priority was Bella, of course, as it was certain that her life was on the line.

I spent most of my time with Alex, Leah and Embry. We even went on double-dates, but when I called them that, both Leah and Embry rolled their eyes. No matter how much I wanted them to get together, they told me they didn't have feelings for each other... still, out of all the wolves, and maybe besides her brother, Leah got along the best with Embry.

"So I was thinking... we could go on a boat trip" said Alex, as we were at the beach, tanning... as much as we could. "My grandpa has a small boat, perfect for the four of us."

"That's great" I said, planting a kiss on his cheek. "When?"

"Today!"

I was taken aback by that, and looked at Embry and Leah, who were both tired from patrolling the previous night.

"Next week?" I asked hopefully.

"If you don't want to it's okay" said Alex, looking me in the eyes. "It was just an idea."

"It's a cool idea" said Leah. "Just not today. I'd rather just chill."

"What happened to you two?" asked Alex, looking at Leah and Embry suspiciously. "You both look like you've been hit by a truck, no offence."

"What are you talking about? I look like a solid 10!" complained Embry.

"Yes you do" said Alex, in an amused voice, making me giggle "but even tens can be tired."

"Haven't slept much" shrugged Embry.

"Yeah me neither" said Leah.

"What is it, the full moon?" asked Alex. For a few seconds, none of us said anything, but then I started laughing, realising he only asked as a joke. Embry and Leah soon joined.

"Incoming" mumbled Embry, and I looked up to see Paul approaching us. Alex stiffened a bit. He always told me not to be so hateful towards the guy, but he was just the same.

"Hi" said Paul to no one in general. "Sam wants to talk to you" he said to Leah and Embry. They reluctantly got up and left. Leah shot me panicked look, knowing that if they didn't want to leave me unprotected, Paul had to stay with us. He looked beyond uncomfortable.

"Anything else?" asked Alex, annoyed by Paul's presence.

"Nothing" said Paul, but didn't move. The tension in the air was getting thicker and thicker.

"Are Jared and Kim over too?" I quickly asked Paul to keep the conversation going. Again, I knew he was ordered by Sam to watch out for me.

"Yeah."

Wow, thanks Paul, for making it easier with your long answers. I looked carefully at Alex, who was rather confused than angry or anything... I was wondering what to say next, when I saw Paul tensing up and looking around. I also started looking around, but saw nothing.

"I sense a leech" he said, making me worry. I knew it had to be Victoria. I shifted a little closer to Alex, who sensed that I felt a little scared, and even though he had no idea what was up, his arm around me held me close.

"What's going on?" asked Alex.

"Paul, take him away" I pleaded, not wanting him to get hurt.

"I can't leave you" he said seriously.