6 || Hand Knitted Glove

White. It was the only colour that you could see as your vision stretched towards the horizon. You couldn't feel your hand anymore even though you already wore a thick glove and placed it in your pocket, hoping that it could at least warm you up a little. But it looked like it didn't change anything since you couldn't move your fingertips anymore.

Today was the last day of the winter training, you knew exactly what to do since it had been the third time you and the others were through this. The cadets were assigned into a group of six, each bringing a different essential to fight the harsh environment. Everyone was already used to it, same as you.

Though, no one ever expected there would be a blizzard coming in for the day.

Your lips had been shaped into a thin line since you couldn't see anything right now. The first few minutes were fine as you and your group just followed the same route that had been prepared by the instructor, chatting up while asking around in case someone started to feel cold.

And now there was only silence. Everyone walked at a close distance, not wanting to get left behind. Plus, they hoped that maybe it could at least make them feel warmer if everyone stayed together.

You cursed the weather under your breath since you always preferred a hot temperature to a frigid one like this. Even though you were a titan shifter, the coldness still bites, torturing you for every blind step that you took on this thick snowy ground.

"(Y/n)." You looked up, finding the familiar pale green of eyes scrutinizing the contort of your face. His eyebrows scrunched up in worry seeing you like this, teeth clicking against each other as the colour started to drain from your face. "Hey, hey. What are you feeling right now?"

Bertolt was scared that something would happen to you. Yes sure, you were powerful, your physical endurance was top-notch too compared with some other cadets. But he knew how much you disliked the cold and the feeling of numbness that followed after.

You didn't answer him yet as you slowly lift your left hand from your pocket. Both hands were shaking even though you wore the same glove as what the others had, he could see it for a split second before you hurriedly put your hand back inside, shyly huddling your body closer to him in search of any other source of warmth.

"It's numb, I can't even feel my finger anymore at this point."

His cheeks flushed from the sudden gesture and the gentle intonation that you use, even redder than before when the only thing he could feel was just the frostiness of the blizzard. For the next few seconds, he tried hard to walk normally. His legs wobbled a little every time your body pressed to his side, and he had to chant inside his mind that it was nothing.

Everyone knew that as a colossal titan, his body somehow became a lot warmer than the others. He recalled how you always wanted to hold his hand on a winter training back then in Marley, complimenting that ability as a gift since it would be harder for him to get cold.

That was maybe the first time he ever felt his heart skip a beat. Yes, wintertime, eight years ago in Marley around four in the afternoon. Everyone was resting after hours of training on the dangerous terrain of the hill near Liberio. The others were busy grabbing as many blankets that they could find on the building, some even asked for a hot chocolate.

Yet somehow, not you. And he remembered all the details about you on that day.

The way you, a real-life princess from the Tybur family, suddenly skipped towards him with a broad smile. The way your gentle voice rang in his ears as you asked if you could feel his hand. The way your eyes lit up the second he gave you a nod, and of course, how your tiny hands engulfed him as you looked at him with awe.