42 || Confession of a Sinner

Year 853, just a day after the Survey Corps' arrival in Marley — Eren Yeager abandoned the group without saying a word.

Perhaps it was the speech that triggered him, removing the remnants of hope he had left in his body and turning it into ashes instead. When all Subjects of Ymir should unite under the same umbrella, those in Marley were brainwashed, saying how the one who had responsibilities over their misery was the island devils instead.

You gritted your teeth for every second you had to listen to them, and you were so close to snapping and correcting their way of thinking. Before you could do anything in the spur of the moment, Captain Levi stopped you by pulling you back into your seat, knowing exactly what you were going to do.

"We should look for Eren in another direction, Captain." The meeting was dismissed, and you cursed underneath your breath when Hange appointed you to search for your missing friend with him. "Jean and Connie already went over here, I saw them."

Your Captain said nothing. He only fixated his gaze forward, never once looking back as he expected you to follow him. His pace wasn't in a hurry, contrasting the other Ackerman who ran around town, looking for the familiar brown tuff.

"I am not going to look for him." He finally responded. "Eren would have been gone by now, there's no use running around like an idiot searching for someone who didn't want to be found." With the truth that made you feel glad Mikasa wasn't around.

The ravenette was the one who first noticed it when he went missing, of course. Tears welled up in her eyes when she tugged on your sleeves, shouting in front of your face that Eren left. How cruel, for him to just leave like that. Not even once sparing a glance towards those who had been there for him since the beginning, especially to her and Armin.

"I see." You understood why Captain Levi didn't try to stop the others to look for Eren. "He's always like this these days, having a personal agenda." He tried to give the satisfaction of trying to them all, especially Mikasa.

"Talk about an agenda."

Captain Levi stopped his track, finally facing you now as the two of you arrived near the encampment from yesterday. This side of the city was fairly quiet despite how it was still bright outside. You were alarmed at the way those silvery orbs stared at you, but your body didn't go rigid like you thought it would.

"Yes, Captain?"

"What's yours, Lady Tybur?"

Maybe because you knew this moment would come, one way or another.

Surprisingly, you were not nervous at all. Far from it, even. However, the wall that had been crumbling into wreckage for the past few years you spent around them, slowly built itself once again as those eyes pierced right into your soul. It was as if he wanted to know everything, the blood that was spilt, the reason why you were here with them instead of your nation, and of course, the plan you had.

"To make sure all Subjects of Ymir will be able to live in peace." But you hoped, this answer would suffice for now.

You didn't deny his suspicion towards your real identity, aware that there was no use in lying when he was one of the sharpest men you ever met. He and Armin. The only thing that made your lover triumph was the time he spent with you.

"So that is true," Captain Levi leaned his back on the nearest wall, both hands tucked in his slant pockets. "You are too, a titan shifter, right?"

Would it be wise if you told him your biggest secret?

"Yes." No. It wouldn't be wise. "I only have two years left, Captain. I will be gone before you even notice." And yet you ran your mouth so easily.

Perhaps it was caused by how thoughtful he was actually around you and the others. Because underneath his hard facade, lived a considerate human being who cared for those he cherished. Even after this revelation, he still considered you as one.