9 || Countdown

"I just realised that this is going to be my last dinner here."

The clinking of silverware against the plates was heard throughout the room, but it stopped the moment the sentence rolled down from your lips. Your eyes still focused towards the steak on your plate, knife cutting through the medium-rare meat as you tried to ignore the way your parents' gaze settled on you.

Tonight would be your last dinner with your family and the realisation slowly seeped in. For years, you sat here across from your mother while your father seated at the head of the table. The three of you often shared the things that happened that day, speaking up about some ideal or random thought of life, or maybe just bantering and teasing each other.

And now you were aware that you wouldn't have it anymore, making each moment that passed seemed to happen in slow motion. You tried not to show it, not when you knew how high their expectation on you as the warrior, as the last hope of Eldian's empire that was neglected here by King Fritz to suffer.

Both your parents didn't know how Paradis would be or what would happen to their daughter once she stepped foot there with the other warriors. But it was the price of being a Tybur, the name that everyone considered as a hero, and it was laid upon you, the one who inherited the war hammer titan.

You have seen it all, the trial of a war as Marley tried to expand their land and colonised neighbouring countries. You have been there to fight, to have the blood of another human being in your hand and they said it was alright. It was for the better, they said. But for the better of who? Why could they not just live in peace side by side? Why did Marley love to be feared by the others?

Flinching, you were surprised when you felt a gentle touch of your father on your cheek, a gesture that was enough to make you look at him. There was this smile on his face, the same smile that you loved to see because it was enough to bring you so much bliss and serenity, erasing all the negative thoughts that plagued your mind.

"It would not, my star." His voice sounded so soothing as he said it, so absolute as if he could see the future. "So don't cry, no need to be scared." His fingertip grazed your cheek, collecting some of the tears that you didn't know escaped your eyes.

"Number three, Bertolt Hoover!"

"Your father is right." Turning your head, you were now faced with a gentle look that belonged to your mother. "We will have this again, so you need to come back to us, okay?" She reached out to you, patting the back of your hand as a reassurance. "No matter where you are going, we will be waiting for you."

"Number two, Reiner Braun!"

With your lips slowly turned into the same smile as them, you squeezed your mother's hand then looked at the two figures that you held dear in your life. Yes, someday you would be here again, telling your stories about what happened in Paradis. Your parents would listen to what you have been through, and everything would end well.

So for that to happen, you have to win this battle first.

"At the head of the class, Mikasa Ackerman!"

You slowly came into your senses, taking a note of where you were standing right now. The bright yellow hue from the torch illuminated your face as it became the only source of light beside the moon. It was not the time to reminisce about what you had before, not when after this you would have to choose what regiment you were going to devote your life to.

"Of course, out of you raw recruits, the only ones who can join the Military Police Brigade," It would be such an easy task for you, "Are the ten with the highest scores!" Since you only had two options in front of you now, and the Garrison was out of the picture for far too long.