31 || Still Image

The thunderous boom. Lightning struck down as the colossal titan transformed. You covered the two of them from the impact. Mikasa shouted at him to get down. All the houses were ravaged in no time. Then small sobs. Something, someone, the voice he recognised. It was the only thing he could hear as it echoed right into his ears.

"It hurts." The sorrow that lingered in his tone, "It hurts so bad." It was so agonising.

He opened up his eyes only to find the colour of smoke surrounding his vision. Was this the afterlife? If he was in hell, then why was there no eternal fire that burned him? Then he averted his gaze to the side, finding the colossal titan's head. He was frozen in place, pupils dilated since he couldn't understand why the titan sobs in front of him. Tears welled up, and it poured on the cheeks.

"Bertolt..."

"Armin!"

He flinched when his best friend shouted his name. Finally, someone could at least explain what happened. When he sat up and found Sasha laying by his side, he felt so scared since she looked battered and unconscious. Frantically checking her wound in case she needed any medical help. Now when Eren ran towards him, he was so relieved. "I am glad you are back."

Blinking, he didn't know why the brunette looked at him as if he was raised from the dead. Those arms wrapped around his torso, holding him tight and he could feel tears wetting his skin. He just looked to the sky, still trying to grasp the situation, and he wondered if maybe the three of them were the only people left.

But then he heard a vertical manoeuvring gear, a sign that somebody else (and he really hoped it was more than one) survived this battle. Captain Levi landed on top of the wall, looking as healthy as possible that he couldn't even see any scar or wound on his body. "C-Captain, he's up!"

"Captain!" Eren slowly released him, and Armin could just stare up at the man, hoping he would get some more information. "What happened here?" His hand went to the side of his head, aware that something was missing from his memory, but he didn't understand what. "I only remember Bertolt transformed into a titan. Mikasa pushed me down before (Y/n) covered the two of us. Huh— W-What about them and the others?!"

Captain Levi shot a green flare to the sky. Knowing that it was to inform the other soldiers when a plan or mission had been positive, he hoped ‌his friends would at least be here too. His lips curled into a soft smile as one by one, familiar faces came into view. But no one seemed to share the same sentiment as him.

They looked solemn, tired, and he immediately had the same expression the second Eren explained to him about what happened.

There were only ten people left in the Survey Corps out of hundreds of soldiers who embarked on this battle. They sealed the walls of Shiganshina, but the armoured titan, beast titan, and the other escaped. Leaving just the colossal titan, or Bertolt, here. Then there was a dispute about who was supposed to get the injection, him or Commander Erwin himself.

And in the end, he ended up being the chosen one. Injected by the titan serum, turned into a mindless titan and ate Bertolt.

He felt his stomach stir, throats felt so dry before the bile went up. Even a new soldier would know the commander should be the one who got resurrected, not him. "Captain, why did you choose me?" The petite soldier only kicked Eren on the butt, grumbling that his best friend was supposed to tell him everything. "You should have given it to the commander. Everyone knows that."

"The thing is, Armin, these two and a certain girl didn't think that way." Even when the captain didn't spell the name, he knew who was mentioned. "They stood up to me, prepared to draw blades. The three will be disciplined for insubordination, that's for sure." And now he wondered why he hadn't seen you ever since he woke up.