29 || Changing Tides

Another meeting in the dark, another reminder about how you were in the middle of a war despite the mundane life you had been having for the last couple of years. Your feet dragged on the ground, not having enough energy because today had been full of training, and you already missed the warm yet hard of your mattress inside the barrack as you walked to the desired meeting point.

If it wasn't for Annie punching your arm now and then, you would have fallen forward and slept on top of this lush grass. And despite her saying she wanted to see the lady Tybur tripped on her own, she ended up reaching out her arm for you when you stumbled on some rocks, preventing you from toppling over.

"Took you both long enough." You let out a yawn, a bit too loud for the warriors' liking that she had to slap her palm in front of your mouth. "Tybur, after three years, you never learnt somehow. What if someone hears your loud, brusque yawn? With that voice you make, I will not be surprised if titans could find us here." Reiner had this smug look on his face, and you just rolled your eyes at that, sitting beside Bertolt as you were ready to hear whatever plan and strategy he had today.

"Give her a little rest, Reiner." Your lover, who always became a worry-wart and prioritised you over anything, spoke up. "You know, she got into yet another long fight with Jean. She also sparred with Mikasa right after, so she must have been tired." You were so close to kissing him right here and there, but you saved your friends from such a sight by giving a smile of appreciation instead.

"Yeah, yeah, she was just too fun to tease. Try that sometimes, Bertolt." A small snicker passed through Reiner's lips, and you were amused since both of your lips quirked up to match his. "But anyway, since the girls are here too, let me tell you what we are going to do near our graduation day."

You could still recall the details of the first time you met him, how timid he was compared to today. Or you could even say, the first time your father introduced you to fellow warrior candidates. It was in the reception hall of Tybur Mansion, with an oriental tapestry attached on one side of the wall as a gift from the Azumabito Clan. A golden chandelier hung in the middle of the room, with the lights of nine candles illuminating each nook and cranny.

He wasn't the only one who looked nervous that day, gaping and in awe since never once they ever stood in such a lavish place, and they would never believe that the one who owned it was none other than a Subject of Ymir's family, those who had the same blood as them. When they heard about the Tybur, there was a bit of jealousy in some of their hearts, saying that someone who had never experienced life like them wasn't one of them to begin with.

Pieck once told you that before they went to your residence, the younger Galliard tried to provoke Reiner and Bertolt to show resentment to the host.

The Tybur family wasn't like any other Subjects of Ymir. They never got humiliated or being looked down upon by another. And once in a while, it would be nice to put them in place. Never got bewitched by their charming smile, never faltered even when they gave sweets and tea or coffee.

But when your father presented you, wearing the same uniform as them, and wrapped your small arms around their bodies after they bowed down to you — that moment changed their view completely. There was warmth seeping inside their heart even when you leaned away, grinning from ear to ear before you gave them a salute.

No one gave them the first salute before. They were always the ones who needed to give respect. But knowing someone from a well-known family in Marley, a hero to be precise, honouring them with that simple military gesture, somewhat bestowed them with the feeling of being a normal human.

"You look content." As you walked back towards your barrack after the meeting, Reiner struck a conversation after towering you with his presence. "Weird, since you always despised our late-night hang-out." He raised one of his eyebrows, looking much more relaxed now once he dismissed the gathering with a concrete plan.