45 || Still Water

"You can't catch me!" Truly, this entire room wouldn't be enough for the four kids from Tybur's family. "Alois! Don't just stand there! Fine will get you if you are!"

The three boys with dark hair ran around the residence that the military bestowed them. None wanted to be still, playing tag instead while their older sister tried to get them to calm down.

Commander Magath, an important guest from the Warrior unit, was now talking with their father on the balcony. They should have been polite, yes. Showing these so-called normal humans that they, as Eldian, could also be respectful and proper. But he couldn't help it! Dinner time was close, and his parents didn't allow them to play after the meal.

"Kids, say goodbye to Commander Magath now." There they were. Just like Bruno thought, it wouldn't take too long. Especially when the meeting was impromptu. Their tiny feets jogged toward the adult beside their father, waving at the stoic-looking man.

"Goodbye, Commander Magath!" And their faces were still filled with innocence. Perhaps, Willy Tybur wanted to make sure it stayed that way. "Hope you can join us for dinner next time!"

Even with such cuteness surrounding him, Magath never once smiled. He just nodded at them before leaving the room along with another higher-up trailing behind him. The heavy talk was over, and Willy wanted to spend time with his family more. Knowing well that after this, he might not be able to.

He only hoped he could have spent it with his oldest daughter, still hoping that one day, she would join the table once again. Alas, the dinner they had together before her departure was the end of it all. The last warm, like what she was always afraid of.

"So, any stories?"

The clinking of silverware could be heard throughout the dining room once everyone was seated down on their chair. Willy's warm eyes gazed at his kids, wondering what they would tell. Though, he heard from one of the maids that Bruno recently stayed in a certain corner every afternoon.

Their backyards were filled with pine trees, tall enough to cover the gates and gave them privacy. But, of course, if someone tried to look closer, they would be able to peek. Bearing this last name, however, minimised their enemies since all people in the world respected them more than anything.

That was why he got curious. "Bruno, perhaps?"

The kid flinched. He could see it, but he didn't say anything as he bit into the fish that became the main course for today. "Pa heard from someone that you had been talking a lot lately. Not with someone from the house, though."

His wife stopped eating for a moment there. From the look on her face, he assumed this was the first time she heard about it.

"Is that true, Bruno?" Her tone lingered with worry, and Willy felt bad since he didn't mean to put the little kid in the spotlight. "Who are they? What did Ma tell you about talking to strangers?"

"But she is not a stranger!" Bruno finally retorted, whining a bit as he jutted his lips forward. "M-Maybe she was, at first, but we have been friends ever since!"

"Friends, huh?" They needed it. Their kids needed it, and the two adults already prepared them to go to school once they reached a proper age for middle school. "Do you know her name, then, Bruno?" However, they also needed to know that not everyone could be considered as friends. They still had to be cautious.

"Of course!"

"Who?"

"(Y/n)!"

Willy could feel the knife and fork in his hands slipping through his fingers. The clanking was enough to surprise everyone, and he should have done better to compose himself, but — how could he when his kid just mentioned a name that they should have never known?