3. So Close/So Far Away

Fez swore he could hear his heart thumping louder than any of the music, cheers, or screaming of the ongoing party. His freckled skin began to form tiny beads of sweat as he looked from Ashtray, to Lexi, who was clearly confused.

The timing couldn't have possibly been worse at that moment. But, when you're a drug dealer, there's really never such a thing as "the right time" at any moment.

Everything in his life was subject to change at any possible second, and he always had to stay ready and alert so that he would never get caught slipping.

Clutching his heat that had been tucked securely into his jogging suit pants, he flashed Lexi an apologetic and remorseful look. There was absolutely no way he could explain what was going on, or why he had to get out of there in such a rush, but he had just hoped that the beautiful and timid brunette standing in front of him-with those innocent, brown doe eyes and wrinkled eyebrows riddled with confusion and anxiety, would hopefully be able to forgive him eventually.

"I..I'm real sorry, Lex. I gotta go. I'll make it up to you!"

The girl frowned. Maybe she'd honestly been kidding herself, and maybe this night was just too good to be true, after all.

She knew that she really shouldn't have any disappointment-her life was already more than full of enough, but she couldn't help it. The reality was that Fez was one of the first, (and very few) people to really take an interest in her and although it wasn't for very long,-it still felt real.

She so wanted it to be real.

"W-Whatever," is all she could manage to choke out hastily before running away from him without a second glance.

Fez face palmed, sighing in defeat. "LEXI!" He tried to call out, weakly. He knew that now was an extremely inconvenient time to try and clarify anything to her, and that he needed to escape immediately in order to avoid any chaos, but the sinking feeling in his gut was too strong to ignore.

"..Forget her, bro. We gotta get the fuck outta  here now before this party turns into Set It Off!" Ashtray motioned to his own gun, carefully tucked under his hoodie, as he gave his older brother a very serious and aggressive look. "Come the fuck on, lover boy!"

And just like that, he headed towards the closest exit and disappeared into the night, wishing so badly that things could've been different. That he could've stayed with the only girl he'd had his eye on all night long.

•••

Lexi furiously blinked back tears as she speedily walked around the party with her stomach in knots. She felt sick and had just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Why were guys such jerks?

It felt ridiculous and unnecessary for her to even be upset-because Lexi was, well, Lexi..and Fezco? He was him. A drug dealer. A guy who was bad news. She should have never had any expectations in the first place. She figured that this was possibly an obvious sign that a girl like herself had no business entertaining a guy like him-and that while they'd shared an enchanting and surprisingly pleasant moment together that night..it was for the best that he ducked out on her exactly when he did. The kiss could've very easily been a mistake.

But, on the other hand, if that were so true, then why did she feel so sad and let down about it? Like she'd missed out on something that was so close, yet so far away?

And additionally, on top of everything else, who the hell was 'Mouse'?! And why did Fez have to rush out of there because of them?

She shook her head in frustration, urging all of her intense and excessive inner thoughts to just disappear, as she scanned the halls to find her sister, Cassie.