54

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlie's POV

I glanced at my phone before looking away, but quickly glanced back, not being able to discard the words that lit up my screen.

Unknown:

Your mother will pay for what she's doing. You may not know, but believe me when I say I'm working on you finding out. Your mother's doing a very good job at prolonging the inevitable. Enjoy meeting your son. I look forward to it too.

My heart dropped at the mention of my boy, knowing that only a selected few people knew about where I was and why I was there. He should not be mentioned so early. He's hardly even met me and I'm already putting him in danger.

"Charlie?" Mr Henderson grabbed my attention, his eyes flitting between mine and my phone. I handed him the phone and walked off towards Caz, grabbing ahold of her hand gently and tugging her to follow.

"What's going on?" She asked once we'd come to a stop behind a closed door.

"I can't be here for a while. I know it's bad timing but I need you and Cole to be safe. Please forgive me for springing it on you."

"Don't worry about it, he's been with me nearly every day of his life, a few more won't hurt, but you should tell him that you'll be back, and make him believe it Charlie because if he thinks you're lying then he'll abandon the thought of having you here." She said, not sternly but not softly. She wanted to make her point, which she did.

"I know, I know it's really bad timing, but I swear it's for your own good. I wouldn't be leaving if it wasn't in my best intentions." I tried to explain, but from her point of view it would be that I had waltzed into their lives, wishing for a relationship with my son and now waltzing back out again.

It wasn't fair on them to do this, but I'm sure any sane person would do the same if put in the situation I was dropped in.

Camilla's POV

"Please stop! Please, I swear I'll do it!" I screamed in desperation as the blunt force of the barrel on my forehead ushered me into a fit of begging.

"And what will you do?" The woman asked, pushing the gun further into my skin.

"I'll kill them." I said calmer.

"Which you should, you know exactly what will happen if you don't. You'll come back home with me, and we'll train you properly. We'll train you to be the person you've been trying to keep hidden Camilla." She spoke, the threat clear as day.

"I'll do it."

"You said that too easily, are they worth that little to you?" She teased, pushing the barrel harder into my head.

"No, but my life isn't worth that little to me."

"Oh a selfish one, we've never had one of those before, most of them like to be loyal or heroes, you're new Camilla. If you hadn't been caught up in all this we may have been better friends. Oh and of course if you hadn't have gotten to know Charlie, then it wouldn't be you that had to do this for me." Charlie's mum said, chuckling with the several people who surrounded her.

It was almost unbelievable to think that this woman was like this. That this woman wanted this. That this woman was going to get this.

17 years I was promised to have to wait to meet Charlie, 17 years I waited. Clearly 17 had a much deeper meaning than just in my life, but in Charlie's too. It was all planned. The 17 tying us both together. A number we both knew and thought about all too well, but for completely different reasons. 17 was all that was going to bound us together for the rest of our lives, and she wouldn't even know. I didn't even know. Charlie's mum certainly knew though, but she wouldn't be offering me this chance to live if she had been the one to propose the offer, she wouldn't sacrifice her daughter no matter how much they hadn't spoken.

I was sworn off 17 years in advance before I even knew I was waiting. But I was sworn off into something the complete opposite of marriage, I was sworn off to death. And I wouldn't even have a chance to find out who had fit the puzzle together. She was my bodyguard, she was meant to risk her life or even give her life to protect mine.

Who had tied mine and Charlie's lives together before we even knew?

But none of that mattered, because I had already whipped the knife out from it's place on my ankle, and I had already stabbed her in the heart. I had already watched the life drain from her eyes, and I had already committed the worst crime that I had ever committed.

And I had said I wasn't Charlie's before. Well what was I now? I certainly wasn't the same person that she had fallen in love with.

Not anymore.

The end

------------------------------------------

Thank you so much to you all for reading this. I honestly don't know where anything is going to go after this but I truly hope to have your support if anything was to ever happen. I really do hope that you enjoyed the book.

Goodbye fellow readers, until next time. 🤚