Sun of a Dreary Sky

Today's Fanart is by MangoPeached! It's SO CUTE AHHH I love all of the colors and the details in their outfits is just *chefs kiss* I LOVE the quote they chose to write. This picture is making me want to listen to Soul Sister and sit on a roof with somebody~ 

BACK TO THE STORY

"Ungrateful child!"

You stiffened as Alma's indignant cry pierced the air from downstairs. Camilo exchanged a bewildered glance with you as his hand, palm facing up, silently offered to help you down from the open window. 

Who is she yelling at?

You apprehensively slid your hand into Camilo's and nimbly leapt down to Casita's floor. You hadn't needed help, but you weren't about to refuse his wide brown eyes and sweet gesture. 

"How could you do this to your family? Your gift could have changed everything!"

Camilo frowned, discreetly crouching by the balcony to peer down at the scene. You dropped next to him, warily leaning forward. Camilo squeezed your hand reassuringly. 

"You abandoned your family! Even when you knew how desperate we were!" Alma roared, rigidly gesturing with her arm. Felix, Mirabel, Dolores, and Augustin awkwardly hovered behind Alma as tiny cracks bolted through the floor. A familiar, lanky figure cowered in Alma's razor glare.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd want to see me," Bruno mumbled, his eyes focused on the floor. He protectively crossed his arms as if trying to consume less space. 

"Ha!" Alma's laugh was a bitter, dry bark. "From the safety of the walls, you've been watching our family disappear one by one. Yet you skulked around the shadows and left us to struggle! Your sisters are gone! Maybe dead!" 

Bruno flinched at the mention of his sisters. He weakly lifted a hand in protest. "Would a prophecy have changed anything? They always come true. You hated my prophecies, remember? We couldn't have changed what happened."

"You could have supported your family! Anything!" Alma hurled a round orange at Bruno's head. Bruno ducked away, and it smacked into his arm, rolling onto the floor like a skull. "Instead you steal the last of our food to feed your selfish greed!" 

Oh. You sympathetically realized. She must have caught him sneaking food from the kitchen. 

"He's here now." Augustin tentatively rested a hand on Alma's shoulder. "It's important that we stay united if we want to rescue the family." 

"You're right, Augustin. It's time," Alma heaved an exasperated sigh, as if wearied by Bruno's interruption. "It's time for the village to know. Mirabel, alert the church."

"Let's go," Camilo suggested, tilting his head significantly toward the stairs. You nodded and followed him outside. Humidity hung stickily on the skin on your arms and neck. A dreary gray smeared the sky. Even the air tensely prickled. Murky. Ominous. Bleak. 

Is Pepa affecting this weather? Or is this what would have happened naturally?

The church bell darkly tolled four times, mandating attendance to Alma's announcement. Like woodland creatures, the villagers gradually filed into the terrace, clumping sociably and chattering excitedly. 

"Welcome, friends," Alma gravely greeted her guests, folding her hands. "I have serious news. The Madrigals are going missing." 

A collective gasp breathed through the crowd like a winter wind. A child released a terrified wail. 

Concern flickered across Camilo's face. He lightly bumped your shoulder. "I'm gonna distract the kids. They don't need to worry about all this. Are you gonna be okay?"

"I'll be fine," you smiled. "Go do what you need to. They love you." 

Camilo gratefully nodded, weaving through the crowd and leading the village children a little distance away from Alma's gloomy meeting. Grinning playfully, he bent down, hands on his knees, and whispered like he was sharing a secret to the anxious kids. He shifted into you and lightly pranced around like a pretentious ballerina. The children giggled and mimicked Camilo's tiptoed dance. 

"Yes," Alma confirmed, drawing you away from Camilo's magnetic charm. "I understand that this is frightening for all of you. For me, as well. Rest assured, we are doing everything in our power to find the missing people. Until we find them, we will remain isolated in Casita to protect ourselves."

"What will we eat?" A desperate voice cried from the throng. 

"There are groves in the forest. You may hunt animals for food. We will eat exactly how we ate before Isabella. Any other questions?" Alma's quiet poise soothed the nerves of the village as she deftly answered their concerns. You squinted, scanning the crowd for a lithe girl with short, dark hair. 

Cristina. If she knows something, now would be the time to find out. 

"(Y/n)," Mirabel urgently whispered, snapping you out of focus. "I need to show you something." You hesitated, craning your neck as you strained to see Cristina. "It's important, (y/n). It's about the hooded figure who tried to steal Antonio."

"Alright," you finally conceded, slinking away from the crowd with Mirabel. She nervously glanced around, swallowing. Hurry, Mirabel. What is so important?

"He knocked me out to take Antonio. But while I struggled, he touched my arm, and it started burning, and-" Mirabel jitterily broke off, suddenly shoving her forearm into your hand. "I'd better just show you. Look.

You gasped, surprised. What's that on her skin?

Glowing an unnatural gold, softly etched tendrils curled across her arm. The symbol of a sun.