𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙀𝙡𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣

𝙃𝙚 𝙞𝙨 𝙞𝙩

***

I need to get more sleep. Even Todd is starting to point out my insomniac behavior. However, it's quite hard when my parents constantly fight, especially at night. I'm sick of standing at the doorway with 911 on speed dial.

I lean against a tree with Todd as he reads a book. I doze off with my head on his shoulder. I tried to read along with him but unfortunately, that boy reads hella fast. I'm half-conscious, the only sounds I hear are Todd's soft breathing, the occasional turning of a page, and our classmates playing tag in the distance.

"Oh, Todd~!" I faintly hear Maurecia. At first, I think I'm just imagining it and slowly slipping into a dream state. But I hear a tiny 'oh no' from Todd and realize I'm not. He takes off, causing me to fall to the ground.

"What in the hell--?" I mutter, propping myself up on my hand and opening my tired eyes. I rub them to clear up the blurriness and lean on the tree, looking at Todd's abandoned book.

Irritated, I watch Maurecia chase Todd, trying to tag him. The boy has this look of panic on his face.

Todd wasn't playing. Just leave him alone!

I watch furiously as the boy dives underneath a nearby bench--one where Shari happens to be sleeping. Maurecia accidentally tags the sleeping girl. Todd mutters a small victory. Shari suddenly yawns, stretching her arms out before letting them lay limp again. Her hand unintentionally hits his face.

I see his face drop, getting out from under the bench begrudgingly and brushing himself off.

With a small grunt, I finally get up, making sure to grab Todd's book for him. Once I look back to Todd I see Myron standing in front of him, holding his hand out. Instantly my stomach drops. 

"Please, Todd. Don't tag me!" Myron pleas in an unconvincing voice. "That would be oh so awful!"

Todd's face looks agitated. "You wanna be it so badly? Here." He sticks his finger out, going to tag him.

My blood roars in my ears, my stomach sinks, and my adrenaline starts pumping. Todd is going to tag him. Todd is going to tag Myron. I hear the yells of protests around him, but I know that they will be in vain. Maybe, just maybe, I can get to him on time--

"Todd! Don't you fucking dare--!" I yell, running towards him as fast as I can. But it's too late. I stop with horror coursing through my body. Todd tags Myron. 

No, no, no, no, no!

My head buzzes. 

This cannot be happening! Not again!

Myron is quick to start taunting. "I am it! Are you it? No, I don't think so! Only I'm it! Me! I am it!" He runs off, basking in the power of his new position.

Immediately I reel on Todd, my face enraged and nasty. "What did you do?!"

"Take a deep breath, (Y/N). Todd didn't know." Dana comes up behind me and whispers gently in my ear, squeezing my shoulder.

". . .right. My bad. Sorry, Todd." I mumble, looking at Todd's bewildered face. I force myself to relax, though anger still bubbles inside of me. It isn't directed at Todd as much anymore.

"What's up with him?" Todd questions, pointing at Myron. 

Dana turns to him, explaining the situation. "Don't you get it? Myron is it. That makes him the most powerful kid on the playground. And you know how Myron is about power."