Chapter One

"I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that I'm right." I explained to Kate as we walked out of Bloedow's, our favorite bakery, with a box of a dozen donuts. "No, you're wrong." she said. "Definitely not, turkey is better than ham in a sandwich." "No you're wrong." We can have the most random disputes ever and not actually fight. "Well you're impossible and I'm not even sure where this argument is going, or how it even started." "If you stop now then I win." she smirked. "Ok. Ride in the trunk." I said motioning to the back of my 1994 lifted blue ford pickup. She smiled sweetly and climbed in to the passenger seat, not saying another word. I handed her the box of donuts and got in as well. I started my beautiful truck and the engine roared like a lion. "You know, they were voted best in the state." I point to the box of warm donuts in Kate's lap. "I can smell it. When can we eat 'em?" She she said. I shake my head and smile.
---------------------
When we pull in to the long dirt driveway of my uncles farm, we are instantly greeted by the smell of fresh manure and hay. It's cleaning day. I go in to the house and leave the donuts on the kitchen counter. "Hey Kathy." I say as I pass my aunt, who is clearly too distracted by her dish-washing to notice me. That's perfectly normal. I go upstairs to get changed. My room is neat and orderly for once, making it no trouble at all to find my riding pants and a pair of cowboy boots. It's a great day to wear an old, dirty, faded pair of jeans and a t-shirt. On my way outside, I pass back through the kitchen where Kathy is still doing dishes. "Hey Kathy." I say, wondering if this time she heard me. Still nothing. Fine then.
--------------------
My uncle Jeff hands me a shovel. I go to work. "I see you've already put Kate to work." I say with a slight laugh. Kate looks up at me with a joking just-shut-up kind of look, she is already covered in manure. I can't help but burst out laughing at her. "Don't say anything." she says with a mix of pure embarrassment and laughter. "I'd like to know what happened in the 5 minutes I left you alone with Jeff." Jeff shakes his head and both of them get back to work, cleaning the horse stalls.
Almost an hour has passed and we've accomplished cleaning every one of the stalls, and even the tack room had been organized. Kathy appeared in the door to the barn, only to direct her speaking at Jeff and Kate. What's her problem?

Sorry my chapters are so short I really don't feel like making them any longer.