15- Gratitude (M)

__________

You know I, I'm afraid of change

Guess that's why we stay the same

__________

I can't believe I was scared of Antony.

He saved me. 

I can almost imagine that happening to me. I don't remember the face, but I feel the hands on my thighs, the feeling of despair when I was sent away. I remember how I tried to kill myself with how much helplessness I felt. I believe Antony.

He saved me.

"Hi, 'Myra," a gentle voice greets me and I look up to see Noah in the doorway, "Hi!" I say cheerfully, completely sure of him being a good guy.

"Hi," he mouths, walking towards me and sitting on the chair beside my bed. "Do you remember now?" he asks, and I shake my head.

"Nope. But I can recall some of it. I know Antony's telling me the truth," I shrug. Noah nods wistfully, "I hope you remember how to play Uno," he says, a grin emerging on his face.

"I think I do," I say, remembering the beautifully colored cards.

"I used to beat you at it all the time," he chuckles, and I nod, "I can imagine. Was I good at games in high school?"

He frowns at me, "I was joking," he says. I tilt my head, seeking an explanation.

"I don't want to say it, really, but you used to beat me at Uno much more than I did," he murmurs. My eyes widen, and I look down.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, feeling ashamed.

He probably thinks you're a show-off.

He taps my shoulder, and I look up at him, "I play phenomenally poorly," he whispers, making me chuckle. "And someone has to win, right? If you had just let me win, I would feel worse," he assures, making me nod.

"Well, I think I'm a bit rusty, Noee. I am pretty sure you'll win," I say softly, and he chuckles.

"Sure, Myra," he says, distributing the cards among us.

*****

"Eat," Antony orders, keeping a decadent plate of pancakes with Nutella, potato wedges, and orange juice on a bed tray. It's been over two weeks since I was transferred from the medical wing back to my room. But this...

This was too much food.

I can't even remember when I had this much food.

"O-Okay, thank you," I murmur, making him frown.

"Do you not like pancakes, kitten?" he asks softly, and I shake my head quickly.

"No! No, I love them, please," I say, grabbing the tray with my hands.

"Then, what's the matter?" he says, sitting by my legs on the bed.

"It's- um," I stammer, "I think it is a bit too much," I whisper, and he strokes my covered legs softly.

"It's fine, baby. Eat as much or as little as you want to," he says, making me blush.

Stop Amyra, he saved you. He doesn't like you.

Of course, he doesn't.

"T-Thank you, sir," I stutter, and he nods in acknowledgment, his aura suddenly stoic.

"You call me by my name, okay, kitten?" he asks sternly.

"Y-Yes, of course, I'm sorry," I mutter. 

Stupid Amyra. You're making him mad.

He sighs deeply and stands up, "Get well soon," he whispers, leaning down and planting a kiss on my forehead.

He gets up and moves towards the door, but not before he turns around to look at me, "We will start training you, soon, Amyra. Are you comfortable with that?"

"Training?" I ask and he smiles, nodding.

"You are now a part of my family, kitten. My mafia. I want to train you, so you don't go through what you went through ever again. It won't be anything rough, just a bit of self-defense at first, yes?"

I nod eagerly, "Yes...at first, please. After that, I want to be an asset for you — I mean, if you think that would be possible for me. You saved me, Antony, and I would like to pay you back," I whisper the last part, making him walk towards me.

"You don't, ever,  need to pay me back, kitten," he says, his voice heavy. "But I do believe your abilities, and if you want to, of course, I'll train you to be an asset," he says, stroking my cheek.

"Thank you," I say softly, and he smiles, shaking his head, "thank you," he replies, tipping my chin up to look into my eyes.

I nod, averting my gaze downwards.

"Monday morning then," he says, and I tilt my head, unaware of today's day.

"Today is Friday. We'll start Monday morning, okay?" he clarifies, and I nod, smiling.

"Yes, Monday morning."

*****

Stop. Stop. Stop.

My hands scratch the insides of my wrists as my mind blanks to white. An ominous laugh sounds at the back of my mind, and I remain oblivious, not knowing whose it was. I shake my head, trying to break myself out of it, but his laugh grows louder, and I feel his hands gripping my thighs bruisingly. I whimper and breathe erratically, unable to call for help, unable to utter a word.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. My angel..." his voice echoes in my head, and I shift back into the bed, wrapping my arms around my knees.

"I don't know- I'm-" I whisper, but his laugh cuts me off again.

"You think I care?! Do you think he cares? He pities you, angel. He lies. He deceives. He doesn't care. Nobody could care about you," he says, suddenly appearing in front of me. He reaches his hand out and grabs my neck in a vice grip, my breath sputtering.

"You failed then, and you will fail now," he says softly, smiling. "And you will come back to me."

Mason.

I gasp in realization, suddenly remembering that he had kidnapped me all those years back.

"You took me away," I say, and he nods, "Who took you away from me then?" he asks, and I frown, unable to remember.

"Remember, angel," he mutters, narrowing his eyes at me. As he leans forward, he suddenly disappears, and I am back in my room, the pink comforter wrapped around me.

"Oh, thank god," Noah sighs, wrapping me in his arms. He sits by my side on the bed, while Antony stands at the foot, breathing heavily. I frown unable to remember what had happened.

"What's wrong, kitten?" he asks, looking at me.

"I remembered something, but I can't recall what it was," I murmur, and he smiles, tilting his head.

"It's okay, you'll remember it soon enough," Noah says, his voice echoing in my ear as he hugs me.

"He's right. We're here with you 'til then," Antony affirms, and I nod.

"Thank you."