|25|

MAIDUGURI, NIGERIA.

Ariana sighed for the umpteenth time trying to zip her zipper. She sighed in relief when her aunt came into the room.

"Aunt Halmeerah please help me with my zipper."

"Sure baby."

"I can see you're all ready, we shall leave now okay?" Aunt Halmeera smiled and made herself out of the room. Ariana took her phone and purse before exiting the room also.

She met the twins and aunt Halmeera's kids also dressed and ready to go rock their cousin's birthday. It was one of their cousin Salma, eighteenth birthday.

They bade Yakaka , Grandpa and Yagumsu adieu before leaving to the said birthday party. The place was on full blast with music when they arrived. The beautiful yet simple and chic mansion came into their views. This was the first time Ariana was visiting any of her cousin's house since her arrival in Maiduguri. It's either they go see her or they meet at school.

She wasn't the social type, so she didn't bothered to.
And this her cousin Salma was different! Ariana doesn't know what really is wrong with the girl but she seems to be in bad terms with almost everyone around.

She's an egoistic rude girl.

You can as well call her bitter.

Her father is amongst the riches of Maiduguri, so that made her to be how she is . Her mother is Ariana's late mother step sister. So, the Salma of a girl is like a step cousin to her.

They entered the house but to their surprise nobody was outside thecompound except for the security men and gardeners. The music was coming from inside then. Ariana thought.

Wow. Was the only word that could describe the interior of the house. Everything was chic and was screaming money.

She closed her mouth not to look like some villager who just arrived in the city.

"Aunt Halmeerah you're here!." Salma grinned when she sighted her aunt.

"Yes sweetheart! happy birthday, i love you." Aunt Halmeerah pecked her cheek.

"Thank you Aunt." She smiled but her reaction immediately changed when she saw Ariana, so she faked a smile at her.

"Happy birthday Salma." Ariana smiled at her and handed her the gifts they bought for her on their way.

"Thank you." Salma replied in a bored tone and collected the gift. Ariana internally rolled her eyes wondering what she ever did to the girl to deserve such absurd treatment from her.

However she doesn't care, she is used to such treatments after all. If her own father could treat her so badly, then she doesn't blame or see it any wrong when someone does that to her. The party ended after three hours and everyone returned to their homes.

"May your soul continue to rest in Jannah Mamy. I miss you." Ariana prayed and wiped a lone tear that escaped her eye.

She rose up from the prayer mat and folded it before dropping it on the couch. She removed her hijab and untangled her hair that was twisted in a one braid and did her nightly routine before laying on the bed and few seconds later she drifted to lala land.

EMIR'S PALACE, KANO.

Aryan hurried upstairs when he heard the scream again. This time more piercing, he pushed upon the door to the room and saw his Aira eyes closed with hands on her ears screaming.

She looked frightened.

He went to her and hugged her. After he was sure she was calmed, he titled her head up and led them to the bed. He rested her head on his broad chest before starting to make soothing circles on her bed.

"What happened? Was it the hallucinations again?" He asked.

"No! No... babe, I've told you times without number, i'm not hallucinating anything! Please believe me, Wallahi i heard the voices." She cried.

"Shush, The doctor said it's normal during pregnancy, so relax okay." He smiled kissing her eyelids.

"No! This is not pregnancy by Allah, i hear those voices, they're so real."

"It's okay, everything will be alright. Go to sleep now. I love you." He kissed her and rested her head on his chest before drawing the duvet over them.

"Please don't leave me alone, i'm scared." She trembled snuggling more into his body.

"I will always be by your side baby, now sleep." He cooed and kissed her lips. Few minutes later, he heard her breath deep and even which meant she was asleep.

He said the Dua and blew it on the both of them before switching off the bed side lamp. What could be wrong with his Aira? He couldn't help but wonder.

****
"Tell Mom i want to see her."

"Yes princess." The maid said and bowed before leaving. Sultana told Aira to not stress herself by going to her whenever she needs or want to see her, instead she would come to her. Not the other way round.

"Babe what are you going to tell Mom?" Aryan asked smoothening her hair.

"Can't i have a talk with my Mom?" She pouted.

Ten minutes later, Sultana came into the parlor. Aira immediately stood up and hugged Sultana before breaking into sobs.

"Mom!" She whispered.

"Subhanallah, what's wrong my baby." Sultana said and glanced towards Aryan's direction who also look confused.

"Relax and tell me what the matter is Aira, is the pregnancy giving you a hard time?" Sultana worriedly asked leading them to the couch.

"Look at me and tell what the matter is my baby." Sultana cupped Aira's cheeks before slowly wiping her tears.

"Mom... it's been a week! i've been hearing some strange voices calling my name every night! and when i told Aryan about it, he said i was hallucinating.

"By Allah Mom i'm not hallucinating, it happens to me. The doctor said, it's normal in pregnancy, but i don't believe that! Please believe me Mom." Aira broke down into another sobs.

"Shush." Sultana said and drew her to her body. She glanced at Aryan who was also staring at them with a worried expression.

"Aryan."

"Yes Mom."

"I think i know what's happening to Aira."

"What Mom?"

"I think it's kinda spiritual."

"How Mom?"

Sultana smiled and shook her head. "You might not know anything about this Son, but i think it's better for you guys to move out of here."

But the problem was Sultan. How would she convince him?

***
Aira🥺.