A Quest, With or Without You

Today's Fanart: 

Here's an AWESOME drawing of Cristina by SushiiCina! This is exactly how I pictured her! They did an awesome job including cute little details that weren't even in the story but totally make sense! I love how the matching hairclip idea is continued here! 

Side note: if you want to send fanart, I'll be posting instructions on my profile just to make it a little easier on everyone! If you've already emailed me your art, PLEASE MAKE SURE that you've included your wattpad name in your email! I have about 3 fanarts that I LOVE so much but I can't post yet because I'm not sure who drew them! If you're one of those talented people, I'd love if you could send a follow up email with your name. <3 Thank you so much; love you guys! 

BACK TO THE STORY

Glowing an unnatural gold, softly etched tendrils curled across her arm. The symbol of a sun. 

"Woah..." you breathed, stunned. Sparkling, golden glitter emanated from the sun. It reminds me of something. What does it remind me of?

"It doesn't hurt anymore," Mirabel shrugged, gingerly rotating her arm to examine it. "But how is that sun trapped underneath my skin? And why?" Underneath her skin was an accurate description. The design radiated its golden sheen through her arm as if sealed inside. 

"I don't know. But I know how I can find out." Your eyes locked with Cristina's, and you gave a tiny wave, pushing through the people to reach her. 

"Hey, what's up?" Cristina questioned with a guarded expression. She toyed with a dark strand of her hair. 

"Cristina, I know I don't remember what I was to you before," you gently started, "But I need to know where my father went. Can you trust me?"

"I trust you, (y/n)." Cristina frowned with a perplexed expression. "But I also trust your father. He's our Head Candella. I can't just betray him."

"My father can't be trusted! His power is literally to mess with your head!" You indignantly burst. How deep did the mountain villagers' loyalty for their Head Candella run? "Listen. As his daughter, I'm next in line to be the Head Candella, right?"

"Right," Cristina uneasily nodded, as if anticipating your reasoning. 

"My father stole the candle. He's connected to the kidnappings. True or false?"

"True," Cristina heaved a sigh, her lips softly curling into a sheepish smile. "Okay, okay. I get your point. Just promise me you'll act for the good of our mountain Encanto."

"I promise." 

"Alright," Cristina covertly leaned forward, her sapphire-blue eyes darting around. "He's hiding inside the mountains. With Sebastian."

"In the mountains?" You emphasized, confounded. "How did they get inside the mountains?" Is that why Dolores can't hear them? Why Julieta's arepas don't work and Luisa can't fight back? Does the mountain barrier somehow block their magic?  You nervously wondered, Is this a suicide mission?

"Yes, the mountains. That's what I said," Cristina affectionately rolled her eyes, rustling through her dress pocket. "He left me a map to the entrance, in case..." She extracted a neatly folded paper and dropped it lightly into your hand. Guilt shadowed her eyes. "In case I needed help. I can't believe I'm betraying him, (y/n). I hope you know that I wouldn't do this for anyone else." 

"I appreciate it," you sincerely thanked her, smiling warmly. "I'm beginning to see why we got along." 

"Why, cause I'm a pushover?" Cristina snorted, jokingly narrowing her eyes at you.

"Yeah. That's definitely why," you teasingly bantered, knocking your shoulder against hers. As you started away, Cristina gently caught your wrist. 

"Hey. After all of this is over... Let's forget about the past. Let's be friends." 

"I'd like that, Cris." If my father doesn't erase my memory. If the mysterious figure doesn't kill me. If I make it home. 

You weaved through the agitated villagers as they flooded out of the courtyard, muttering discontentedly. Where is Alma? I should tell her; I doubt she'll try to stop me from going. I'm not a Madrigal.

"Senora Alma!" You called, finally identifying her drained face in the throng of people. "I know where to find my father. I'm going to go confront him. Find out how and why the Madrigals are disappearing." And what happened to Mirabel's arm, you mentally tacked on. 

"Oh. Alright, be careful," Alma frowned, blinking in surprise. "I'm afraid you'll have to go without any Madrigals. I'm issuing a strict curfew on my family. We can't afford to leave Casita with the kidnapper roaming our Encanto."

"It's fine. I was going to go alone, anyways," you respectfully consented. Camilo would probably try to stop me from going. And I'd never forgive myself if he got hurt. "I'll leave right away. I don't want anyone to talk me out of it." 

"As you wish," Alma kindly dipped her head in agreement. "I'll let the family know that you've left. I expect you know the risk, but don't be reckless, (y/n). I hope you return, but not only for my sake." 

"Camilo will be fine," you uncomfortably assured yourself more than her. "He doesn't need to know where I've gone. He'd just worry." You gratefully thanked Alma and snuck toward the arched terrace exit. If I hurry, I'll be out before anyone notices. 

Suddenly, light fingers pressed into your arm and spun you around. 

"You weren't even gonna tell me?" Hurt glittered in Camilo's eyes as his hand pleadingly restrained your arm. He'd heard everything. 

"Camilo," you guiltily breathed his name like it was a bad word. Shoot.

"There wasn't even a prophecy this time, (y/n)." 

"Come on. Let's not do this again." 

"Do what, the part where I hold you to the wall and then you cuss me out?" Camilo raised his dark eyebrows, a tinge of innocence in his gaze. "Oh, no. That wasn't fun." 

"Why aren't you taking this seriously?" You suspiciously scowled at Camilo's levity. 

"Why, Mariposa," Camilo's mock wounded surprise shifted into a smirk. He firmly took your hand and twirled you underneath his arm, gently holding you against his chest. "Because I'm coming with you. And there's nothing you can do about it."