Chapter 48

Their standoff lasted a few very long moments, where they all stared at each other. Dumbledore with simmering fury, Snape with genuine worry and Harry with abject fear.

Just as Harry debated if making a run for it, just rush out the entrance doors behind him was a good idea or not, a voice sounded through the Entrance Hall.

"Professor Dumbledore, what is going on?"

McGonagall came walking down the staircase, face pinched with concern as she looked between the three of them.

"I was just inviting Mr Potter into my office for a much needed chat about his recent conduct at this school," Dumbledore said through gritted teeth, eyes still narrowed and blazing.

McGonagall's expression tightened even further, though she now seemed more angry than worried. "Headmaster, must I remind you that you're not to have any contact with Mr Potter unless it concerns an academic matter that cannot be solved by another staff member?"

"I assure you that Mr Potter is in need of my discipline and no one can replace my part in this," Dumbledore said with a quiet snarl.

McGonagall stopped right beside Dumbledore. She glanced around the Entrance Hall, where various students were lingering on their way to lunch, staring at the spectacle with disbelieving eyes. Obviously no one at Hogwarts had ever seen the Headmaster that furious.

"Albus," McGonagall whispered urgently. "Think about what you're doing. If you break this sanction, you might very well lose your job. What has Mr Potter even done that warrants this response?"

"Told the truth." Surprisingly, it was Snape who said this. Now that he had backup from a colleague he was apparently happy enough to have a minor confrontation with Dumbledore. Not that Harry blamed him for that. Snape was a powerful wizard and an excellent duellist, but in an actual duel Harry doubted Snape would win from Dumbledore. The old man was simply too powerful and too experienced. Only Tom had ever been able to duel Dumbledore to a standstill and even he hadn't been able to easily win.

"I just wanted to help Mr and Mrs Flamel," Harry muttered, remembering to put on an act as though he was a contrite child who only now realized he may have said too much earlier. "Their stone is very important to them."

"The boy is already serving a detention with me this afternoon for missing my class," Snape added with a bit of a sneer, looking much more like himself again.

"Very well," McGonagall said, looking between all three of them before glaring at Dumbledore again. "Then hereby I, as the Deputy Headmistress, conclude that the matter is solved and that Mr Potter will receive appropriate disciplinary measures from his Head of House." When Dumbledore still stubbornly refused to step aside, McGonagall added with a bit of a growl, "Now move, Albus, or I will report this recent confrontation to the Board of Governors myself."

That gave Harry an idea and he immediately started composing a letter to the Board in his head, so he could send it off after lunch. Dumbledore had overstepped several rules just now, and if McGonagall wasn't going to report him, Harry most certainly would.

"This isn't over," Dumbledore whispered, eyes still burning bright with anger, but he did finally start moving towards the Great Hall. McGonagall nodded at Harry and Snape and then all but herded Dumbledore away from them.

"You bloody fool," Snape said with a snarl, though his cheeks were still a bit paler than usual. "Now you see what happens when you taunt those far more powerful than yourself."