Chapter 38

“Er…” Harry stared at Theo, completely at a loss of what to say. In fact, he didn’t think he’d ever been more at a loss of words in either of his lives as he was at that moment. Curiously, though, Tom kept his arms casually wrapped around Harry’s waist as he stared at Theo, expression utterly neutral.

“Theodore,” Dorus said with an exasperated sigh as he stepped up behind Theo. “I believe I told you to give Harry some privacy before dinner.”

“Yeah, but…” Theo also seemed at an utter loss of what to say, though he seemed unable to tear his eyes away from the scene in front of him.

“Come, there is a contract for you to sign in my office,” Dorus said, placing a steady hand on Theo’s shoulder and gently pulling him backwards. “Everything else will be explained during dinner.”

“Harry?” Theo asked, even as he stepped away from the door.

“Yeah, it’s me.” Harry finally found his voice, though he still wasn’t sure what to say because anything sounded weird in his head. ‘It’s not what it looks like, Theo, don’t worry’ (What did it look like, then, if Harry got the impulse to deny it?). ‘I’m actually an adult, Theo, don’t worry’. Yeah, that needed much more explanation than just a few throwaway words, so instead Harry shrugged and agreed with Dorus. “We’ll explain during dinner, promise.”

Still looking utterly baffled by this sudden turn of events, Theo looked down at his shoes and finally shuffled away from the door.

“Dinner’s in twenty minutes,” Dorus called to them before the door fell shut.

“That was…” And even when alone with Tom, Harry still didn’t have the right words for what had just happened.

“Let me guess,” Tom said, his smile one of utter satisfaction that he knew something Harry didn’t. “You took the aging potion and didn’t even consider your young friend and his reaction at seeing you as an adult.”

Licking his lips, Harry wanted to deny everything Tom just said, but found that he couldn’t because when he took the aging potion he really, truly hadn’t considered that he’d have to tell Theo something as an explanation. “Yeah, okay, you’re right, happy now?”

“Extraordinarily,” Tom said, the smug bastard. “Thankfully, I am not a Gryffindor and did foresee these consequences and prepared a secrecy contract for young Theodore to sign.”

“That’s good,” Harry said, glad Tom wasn’t planning to obliviate Theo, or worse. “What are we telling him?”

“The truth, or at least a small portion of it,” Tom said with a reassuring smile. Perhaps some of Harry’s worry for his friend had shown on his face. “The contract will protect his mind from people trying to steal information. Besides, Dorus assured me Theodore has received tutoring in Occlumency since a young age.”

“Yeah,” Harry said with a nod, only now realizing they still had their arms around each other and it didn’t even feel that weird. In fact, it felt downright comfortable. “Theo practises his Occlumency at least a few nights every week, he told me. He’s a diligent student in all other subjects, so I believe him.”

“Then it won’t be a problem that he learns the most basic version of the truth,” Tom easily agreed. “I do suggest we keep any and all details to ourselves.”