The Move

The sky was dark and gray. I sat in the back of the car watching the raindrops run down the glass. After another 10 minutes added to the hour I had been in the car, we finally arrived at the house. My 5th foster home. I'm moving in with the Jones, but honestly their house seems nice. It's small and simple but I love small and simple things, and the Jones seem like quiet and sweet people, so maybe this time will be different.

I set my stuff in the room I was staying in. It was a small room with the slanted roof coming down on one side making the room an odd shape, but it was pretty. Kate and Michael gave me time to unpack and get used to the place. I moved my clothes to the dresser. I didn't have much, but the Jones bought me some more on our way here. I got a new black hoodie with sunflowers on the sleeves, and a few pairs of ripped jeans. Which they weren't very fond of, Mr. Jones says ripped jeans are a waste of money, but they got them anyway. I also got a few shirts. They're all random but I like them.

I folded everything nicely and put it in the draws, I organized them by color, each stack a different color. When I was done putting away my clothes, I set out my guitar under the window at the end of my bed. I love the setup of this room.

I sat on the bed that was covered with my grayish blue blanket. Looking around I took a deep breath, the last house. I got up and walked downstairs to see Kate making dinner in the kitchen. I walked around the living room looking at the set up and pictures. Their house had a warm aesthetic to it. It was nice. I walked into the kitchen and sat at the bar where food was being set as it was finished. I looked up at Kate and asked, "Where's Mr. Jones?"

"He's out getting wood for the fire. He likes to sit outside and look at the fire after dinner." Kate said with a smile.

"Do you think he would like some help? I can help, I'm good with fires."

"He wouldn't mind, he would love to get to know you more. Especially if you like fire. He finds it fascinating." She said with a slight chuckle. "He's out back, you can go through the glass door." Kate added.

I walked over to the glass door that I passed coming downstairs and slid it open just enough for me to slide through. I shut the door and turned to see a huge pile of wood cut into the perfect size for a fire. Michael was grabbing pieces from the top when he saw me.

"Want any help?"

"If you want, you don't have to." Mr. Jones said.

Janie liked living there so far. They were both nice and patient. She was always a troubled kid after the accident. She went out of her way to anger her foster parents till they sent her back to the foster home. She hated moving over and over again but she couldn't stand the people she was placed with.

~three weeks later~

Janie walked around the city. She wanted to get to know the place and both Kate and Michael had her location if she got lost. There were lots of people out walking. Janie smiled at people as they walked by, they smiled back. After a little bit of walking Janie went back home. She had to use google maps, but she got back pretty easily.

"How was your walk? Did you get to see anything interesting?" Kate asked as I walked in the living room.

I nodded, "yeah" I took my jacket off, "there was this person painting the river. I stood there and watched for a little."

Kate smiled, "oh Mr. Lane, yeah he goes around the city and paints sceneries."

"Oh, well it was really good. I would love to see more of his work."

"You have a thing for art?" Michael said as he walked in covered in dirt.

I looked him up and down, "yeah, always have. Uhm." I started to wonder about his clothes.

"Oh, don't mind me, I was out fixing up the garden. That damn rabbit keeps eating the berries and messing up the dirt."

"Michael Jones." Kate said sternly

"Sorry, I've just been dealing with that rabbit since I planted that garden." Michael apologized.

"Oh no, it's fine. It doesn't bother me."

"Well, you two should go get cleaned up while I set the table for lunch." Mrs. Jones said.

Both Michael and Janie got cleaned up and headed back downstairs and sat down. Kate set down the plates and drinks. Janie looked at the plate full of avocado toast and salad. She looked up at Kate.

"Oh uhm, I'm sorry but I am allergic to avocados." I instantly felt bad seeing the look on her face.

Kate quickly grabbed my plate and brought it over to the bar.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't know." she said, freaking out.

"No thank you, it's fine, there's no way you could've known. I will eat the salad. I love salad."

"Are you sure? I can make you something else to go with it." Kate suggested.

I shook my head, "I'm fine with just salad. I used to eat it any chance I could."

Kate sighed and sat down, "I'm so sorry about that." She apologized again.

"It's okay, thank you." I let out a small chuckle.

After they finished eating, they all watched a movie, In the Heights then went to bed.