Memories

I sat down bringing my knees up to my chest as I buried my face in my hands.

I felt a hand lightly place itself on my shoulder blade. I looked up to see Mr. Lane. He stood there looking down at me before asking, "Are you okay?" I nodded and stood up. He looked at the water, "looks different today." He seemed happy.

"What do you mean?" I wiped the tears off my face.

I walked over to him and looked down at the water. "It looks brighter, doesn't it?"

I looked at him confused. This man knows something. I looked at his face more to see a similarity to someone I knew. I stared into his eyes as he started painting. "Cole." I mumbled. I watched the man's face as his smile didn't fade but the joy in his eyes did.

"Pardon me?" He looked at me as he set down his paint brush.

"Cole Lane? That was your son's name right?" I know I was being bold but I had to tell him about these past months.

"Yes. He was. How do you know him?"

"Well this may seem insane but these past months he's been here," I took a deep breath, "talking to me."

The man's eyes glowed once more, "I knew it! I could feel him here that one time I came and you were here." He then got curious, "But why couldn't I see him?"

"I think it was because he didn't want to hurt you. He didn't want to bring back the grieving you had to go through. That's why when you showed up that one time he left."

"I wish I could have said goodbye." Lane was sorrowful. But I could also tell he was delighted.

"I can tell you about what happened between us if you don't mind while you paint."

"That would be lovely." He had a huge smile on his face covering the tear running down his cheek.

Lane picked up his paintbrush and continued as Janie told him about these last months with his child who he never thought he would have a new memory of. They both laughed about some things, all through the slight sadness they both carried.