Confronting Him

I sat in my room thinking. How do I tell him what I know? Am I even, right? "This is insane." I sigh as I slam my body back on the mattress. I cover my face with my pillow and scream into it. I don't know what to do. I haven't been down to the bridge for a week. He could be down there waiting for me and I find out what I'm thinking isn't even true and I lose my best friend. Ugh!

I sat on the porch. I could feel the cool morning breeze one my bare arms. Chills forming over my body. It was getting cold. Today was September 22, the first day of fall. I was ready. Ready to confess to Cole. Ready to tell him I know who he is and that I can't see him anymore. But I don't want to stop seeing him, he makes me happy...

I shook my head at the thought and walked inside. I sat at the breakfast bar in the kitchen. Writing my last note. I know after I do this, I'm not going to want to go on walks. I'm not gonna wanna see the town without my best friend to tell when I get down walking around. I stuck the note to the marbled counter and slowly got up. I grabbed my hoodie and slid it on; wiping my face and I could feel the tears running down my face.

I looked around before opening the door. Walking down to the bridge practicing what I was gonna say. "I know you're the boy." I shook my head. "I know the truth." Ugh why is this so hard. Probably because it sounds crazy. If Cole is who I think he is, how are we talking? How can I see him? How can i touch- OH MY GOD WE WILL NEVER HUG AGAIN IF I DO THIS.

I felt a painful turn in my gut. I was going to throw up. I looked up from the ground to realize I was 5 feet from the bridge. If I walk these 5 feet, I'm going to ruin my only friendship.

I breathed in and held it for 10 seconds before blowing out. Okay, you got this. I slowly walked to the end of the bridge and began to speak.

"Cole, I know you're here. I don't know if you can hear me but I'm done coming down here. I know you're the boy I have been trying to find out about. I know you drowned in 1999. I know it sounds crazy but I'm right. I really hope you find your way out of this place. But I can't meet with you anymore." A tear ran down my face. I could feel my heart racing.

I looked down then back up to see him standing in front of me. I took a step back. He stood there, tears running down his face. I could tell he was hurt; he had another look on his face. I couldn't tell what. "What's wrong?"

He stared at me for a minute, "I'm scared." he finally said, choking on his tears.

We both looked at each other not knowing what to say. I quickly hugged him. His arms hung by my side before he wrapped his arms around me. I smothered my face into his chest. I could feel my tears seeping through his shirt. I could hear the river as the water ran down under the bridge. The wind blew through the trees making the leaves move back and forth. I felt a strange feeling on my arm, the feeling of his body suddenly evaporating into thin air like mist on a summer morning. I opened my eyes to completely break down. I shut my eyes tightly and completely broke down. I fell to my knees on the bridge that I knew was no longer a place I could come to.