Filling In The Lines

FanFiction.net

Filling In The Lines by DaughterOfPoseidon333

Rated: T
Language: English
Genre: Romance
Characters: Steve.R + Natasha.R
Words: 2k+
Published: February 6th 2015

***

"I want to paint on you."

Natasha looked up at Steve and blinked, not sure that she had heard him correctly. She had been sitting on the floor, curled up in a blanket, reading a book. Why she was on the floor, she didn't know. She was pretty sure it was a habit she'd picked up from Clint, considering he seemed to situate himself as high as he could get, or as low, no matter what room he stepped into. Steve watched her, standing as he twisted his hands nervously in front of him.

"What?" she finally asked.

Steve exhaled. "I just had an idea, and well I would like—I want to paint on you. Your body, I mean."

Natasha was about to ask him why, but he honestly looked like he'd explode if she questioned his motives. So she nodded and gave him a little smile. "Okay."

Steve let out another breath and smiled. He shut the door and stepped further into the room, giving her a quick kiss before heading over to his desk. Natasha watched as he rummaged through one of the larger bottom drawers, where he kept most of his art supplies. She watched him pull out various tubes of paint and brushes, several rags and a couple pallets.

"Need me to do anything?" she asked as she put away her book and tossed the blanket on their bed.

"Not...yet..." he trailed off. She smiled to herself. He tended to get like this when art was involved—half in reality, half in his head, already thinking about what the finished product would look like. He got the smallest crease, right between his eyes, a constant look of concentration whether he was drawing or painting or something in between.

"Okay, so I was thinking—" Steve stopped mid-sentence when he turned around and saw her. "Oh."

Natasha glanced down and remembered she wasn't wearing anything but a pair of white panties and her oversized sweater. When Steve had come into the room before, her lower half had been covered with the blanket. Natasha looked back up at Steve with a little smirk playing on her lips. His eyes, darker with desire, traveled up and down her body. He'd always been fairly confident around her, but there were times like this, whether she was dressed in next to nothing or tilted her head just the right way or gave him a certain kind of smile, that he absolutely crumbled before her. Even now, his ears were tipped with just enough pink to betray him.

Her appearance didn't shake his confidence too much, though. Steve stepped forward and set his supplies down on the bed, his eyes never leaving her. And then he took the needed steps over to her and cupped her face gently between his hands, those hands that could crush her bones just as easily as they could throw his shield. Seconds later his mouth was pressed against hers, soft and sweet. Then he was scooping her up into his arms, hitching a leg under her knees as her arms wrapped around his neck in an attempt to pull him impossibly closer.

Steve set her down on the bed, and he continued to stand, legs pressed against the edge of the bed. Their bed. The one they'd shared for months now. Even before they had started dating—which was still weird to think about sometimes, that she was dating Captain America—they still sometimes wound up in each other's beds, needing the company or the warmth or the security of lying in each other's arms, whether it was after a particularly draining mission or after having an exceptionally terrible nightmare. So when they actually moved in together, sleeping in the same bed was as natural as breathing. Everything with him came so naturally that it almost scared her. But any doubts she had, whether they were in the past or for the future, he could make them vanish with just a look.