Caught Under The Mistletoe

FanFiction.net

Caught Under The Mistletoe by Bree Colbern

Rated: T
Language: English
Genre: Romance
Characters: Natasha.R +Steve.R
Words:
Published: August 15th 2016

***

Steve rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly; looking anywhere other than Natasha. At the moment, he and Natasha had been tricked into somehow both being under the mistletoe at the same time by none other than whom they had once thought were their friends.

Pepper and Tony had told Steve that Clint wanted him in the other room, while Clint had told Natasha that Tony and Pepper had wanted her.

Resulting Steve and Natasha to practically run into each other in the doorway, and after they both apologized and before they could both leave the doorway, Tony and Clint had shouted out the word 'mistletoe', much to Steve's frustration.

Ever since D.C. and the whole Winter Soldier fiasco, Steve and Natasha had been super awkward around each other, always avoiding each other yet somehow always running into each other.

Quite literally, actually.

It would have been amusing if it was anybody else, but this was Natasha.

And right now was just like any other time, except now they were about to be forced to kiss.

"Stark," Was the warning from Natasha, but Tony nearly shrugged.

"You wouldn't want to ruin a tradition or a rule would you, Natalie?" He asked, feining innocence, but her glare never wavered.

"Yeah, and you know how Cap hates to break a rule," Clint chimed in, sounding way too perky.

"Traitor." Natasha mumbled. She sighed heavily, and looked back up at Steve with a look of annoyance covering up the feeling of nervousness blossoming in the pit of her stomach.

Steve gave her a small look of pity and understanding that only she would be able to see. He could basically see her shrug inwardly. 'It's nothing', she told him silently with her eyes.

"Are you guys going to do it, or are you just going to stand there gazing into each other's eyes all night?" Tony asked in fake annoyance, and Steve blushed while Natasha glared Tony down again. He just simply shrugged. And in one last desperate hope of getting out of this, Steve spoke up.

"It's just a plant and an old tradition, not like it's an actual set rule." Steve said and Tony rolled his eyes.

"Just do it." Tony stated as he croseed his arms, stubborness setting in.

"But Tony-" Steve started but was interrupted by Clint.

"Move out of the way, lovebirds!" He said as he brushed past them in the doorway, purposely bumping into Steve to knock him and Natasha off balance.

The rest happened so fast, Steve wasn't even sure what exactly had happened until it was all over. Natasha started falling back as Steve slightly stumbled forward.

He reached out an arm to grasp Natasha around the waist, and reached out with his other hand so his hand could brace him on the side of the doorway.

Natasha let out a gasp as she thought she was going to fall, but then Steve's arm was suddenly around her waist and he was leaning over her as he was braced with his other arm against the side of the doorway.

His sky blue eyes stared into her's, a hint of shock and concern still in them as his lips lingered only a couple of inches from hers. She could feel his hot breath on her face and couldn't help her eyes from looking down at Steve's lips.