Good At Goodbyes

FanFiction.net

Good At Goodbyes by beyondwonder

Rated: M
Language: English
Genre: Adventure/Romance
Characters: Steve.R + Natasha.R
Words: 59k +
Published: May 26th 2017

***

"Hey, solider."

Steve whirled around; fists coiled and taunt shoulders dropping with surprise upon recognizing the red head perched atop the security camera desk. Behind her an unconscious guard sat slumped in his chair. She uncrossed her legs and jumped down from the desk gracefully.

"Where's your shadow?" She inquired, peering around him and down the corridor where numerous bodies lay in Steve's wake.

"Safe," he answered, his muscles tightening again in anticipation of a fight. What is she doing here? He eyed her suspiciously, trying to determine if she was poising herself to attack. The last time he'd seen her they'd faced off at the Leipzig airport and he wondered if maybe this time she wasn't going to simply step aside.

As if having read his mind, she released a short exasperated sigh and explained her presence in the maximum-security prison. "Didn't think I'd let you attempt a prison break without me did you?" She cocked her head to the side; green eyes alight with mischief. "Nice work on scrambling the bay doors security system during shift change, Rogers. I'm impressed. Did his majesty lend you some of his fancy toys?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Steve denied, still unsure as to the Black Widows motives and more importantly – her allegiances. A part of him longed to believe that maybe, just maybe, she had been on his side from the beginning and that she'd never really been swayed by the dubious prospect of the Accords. However, with everything that had happened with S.H.I.E.L.D and Hydra back in DC, the Captain had begun to grow suspicious of every single persons agenda around him nowadays. The only person he could wholly trust without doubt was himself.

"Well I'd love to stand here while you weigh up whether you can trust me or not, but we've only got seven more minutes before the security cameras I've just disabled come back online. If it's all the same I'd really like to be long gone before General Ross figures out I'm here." She arched an eyebrow at him and inclined her head towards the hallway behind her. "You coming, Rogers?"

Steve chewed on the inside of his cheek, uncertainty echoing in his mind and heart. A beat later and he found himself nodding and taking a step forward to follow her. Satisfied, Natasha took off in a dead sprint, turning right down a short corridor that splintered off into two different directions – all of them unmarked and identical in nature. She motioned left while pulling a gun and a security card from the holster of her cat suit, an indicated that they should take the large door at the end of the hallway. He slid to a stop, glancing behind them for any guards while she swiped the card through the security reader.

Seconds later the door unlocked with a dull beep and he exited the brightly lit grey hallway and stepped down onto a narrow steel catwalk. The size of the RAFT prison had been deceivingly small until now. The catwalk the duo stood on wrapped around the entire circular perimeter of the prison. Three narrow catwalks crisscrossing across the mammoth hollow interior of the circle. Following Natasha closely onto the middle catwalk, Steve cast a wary glance below. An onslaught of wind and sea spray ruffled the hair on his head, the roaring gusts threatening to pull both of them down below into the churning sea. Despite the thin metal railing bordering the catwalk, Steve didn't like his chances of balance if a fight broke out on the flimsy looking walkway. "Where is everyone?" he asked, sweeping his head back and forth to study their surroundings.

They reached the end of the catwalk and paused at the bottom of a metal stairwell. "Three on your far right. Fully armed. I'll take these two," Natasha whispered. Steve nodded his understanding and sure enough, no sooner had they ascended the steps two guards whirled around and charged towards them.