1

"Rose?" A doctor whispered, waking me up. I quickly stood up.

"Is she okay? What happened—"

"She doesn't have long but she asked to see you." The doctor spoke calmly.

Without saying anything I rushed to my mothers hospital room and saw her laying there, thin and barely breathing. "Mom!" I instantly teared up and walked over to her bed, grabbing her hand.

"R-rose, there's something I need to tell you." She spoke, her voice croaky.

I stared at her as teared streamed down my face. "Anything mama."

"Your father...James." James? I asked myself. "He's in the maf—" the she stopped talking, her head hit her pillow and the heart monitor stopped.

In that moment it felt like everything was in slow motion and silent.

"Mom!" I screamed out. Doctors quickly ran in and pulled my hand off hers.

"Ma'am you have to get out I'm sorry." A nurse told me.

"N-no." I shouted but she managed to force me out of the room.

I sat in the waiting room for a few minutes but it felt like hours, tears were falling onto my grey pants leaving marks until I finally lifted my head when a doctor walked out.

"Rose Devlin?" He asked me.

"Yes, what's going on?" I stood up.

"I'm sorry miss Devlin but your mother didn't make it."

"What?" I yelled. "No" I lowered my voice. I grabbed my bag and walked out of the hospital without saying another word.

I walked home which was about a 40minute walk but I didn't notice. My mother had died, my father? Well he left a while after I was born, my mother had never mentioned him until today.

James.

His name kept repeating in my mind. When I finally got inside I sat on my couch next to my dog, Juno, he was a Doberman that my mom got me when I was a kid.

He could sense something was wrong and cuddled up to me. After a few hours of sitting in silence I got an old photo album out, my mum had hundreds of them, this was one from when I was a baby but it had a few of me and Juno growing up together.

Rose and her mother :

Rose and Juno:

I teared up at the photos and cried again. A few hours had passed and Juno walked up to me with his food bowl in his mouth.

I laughed slightly at him and got up, taking the bowl as he followed me to the kitchen. I put his food in his bowl and placed it down, opened the cupboard and got out some chocolate then started to eat it.

Juno looked up at me after he finished his food with begging eyes. I looked behind me and saw some dog treats.

"Really?" I teased him as I opened the box. "Spin." I told him, so he did then sat down. "Good boy!" I threw a treat in the air and he caught it. "Cmon." I patted my leg as I walked to my bedroom so he'd follow me, he's not usually allowed in my room but who was gonna stop me?

I laid on my bed and he jumped up next to me then laid down. I quickly fell asleep but woke up to pounding on my front door and Juno barking. I got out of bed and groaned.

"Juno! Stop, it's okay." I walked downstairs with him at my side and opened the door but the knocking stopped and on the other side all there was, was a letter.

I looked around and saw a man in a black car, he smiled at me then drove off. "What the fuck?" I whispered as I grabbed the letter.

I closed my door and opened the envelope as I sat down on the couch. I pulled out a piece of paper.

Rose, I really hope this is the right address. I'm aware your mother passed away, I'm very sorry but here's something that might really freak you out or maybe make you relived, I'm not sure but look on the other paper. I read the letter. I pulled out another piece of paper but this one was weird.

The first thing that caught my eye was 'DNA matched' I looked along the paper 'James Devlin' and 'Rose Devlin' what? James. My father? I pulled out the last piece of paper, it was a plane ticket to France go to the airport at 9pm today, pack all your things and tell a security guard you're looking for Mr Russo, please come - James I read some more.

"What do you think Juno?" I looked at him. He barked at me in response. "Agreed, we're going." He tilted his head at me. "What? I've lost my mother if I get kidnapped that'll be the least of my problems, and you'll protect me, won't you?" I put on a baby voice at the end as I stroked him.

I ran up to my room a pulled out 2 big suitcases. In one I packed most of my clothes and makeup except a hoodie and some black bottoms to wear on the plane. In the other I packed a lot of Junos stuff and all of mums photo albums...there were a lot.

I waited until 8pm to call a taxi, it got here at 8:26 and we arrived at the airport at 8:57.

I looked around until I saw a security guard, walking over to him with Juno next to me. "I'm looking for Mr Russo." I told him.

"Right this way miss." The man smiled at me and led me to a private runway with a private jet on it. "Just over there." He told me, pointing at the jet.

"What? That?" I asked him.

"Yes, it's taking off soon, you better be quick." He nodded.

Juno and I walked over to the jet and went up the steps. I looked around the jet until I saw a man in a suit.

I walked over to him but he looked young. "James?" I asked.

"Not quite." The man chuckled and stood up to shake my hand. "Diego Romano." He told me as I shook his hand.

"Rose Devlin." I smiled at him.

"I know, your father sent me, I'm gonna be your body guard for a bit until James stops being so protective." Diego explained as we sat down. Juno got his own dog bed built into a seat next to me, I think it was cute James put that much effort in. "My condolences about your mother."

"Thank you." I smiled slightly.

If I learned anything from my mother was 'if you feel like you don't fit in, act like you do' I sat with my legs crossed, stroking Junos head and drinking a glass of champagne. After a few hours I fell asleep.

Diego didn't say much until we landed. "Rose." He said

"Huh?" I asked groggily as I opened my eyes.

"We're here."

————

Word count: 1194

Not too sure how good this is gonna be, sorry for the short chapter btw.

How's your dayyy?