Born From Fire

--

Chapter Three

Born from Fire

--

Nell was thrown out of the bed what felt like only seconds after he closed his eyes. He glanced out of the wide glass window. There was a dim light on the horizon. The sun hadn't come up yet. Sallos stayed in bed, leaning lazily against the headboard, reading. Nell tried not to think too hard about just how easy it had been to fall asleep in the bed of a demon. The truth was Sallos kept him warm the whole night, just like he had in the tent on the road. Nell put on his uniform stiffly. It was baggy and really didn't fit his skinny frame, but the material was at least thick and good. He pulled on his boots and was ready when Jerome came to collect him.

'You will eat with the others and then head to your station.' Nell glanced briefly back at Sallos, but the demon didn't even look up. Nell followed Jerome down the vast flight of stones stairs and down the corridor to the food hall. Already, there was strong smell of cooking food and echoing conversation reached him.

'The servants are usually the first to eat in the morning and last to eat at night. Part of our job is to be seen and not heard and to stay out of the way. You will meet up with a senior servant who will be able to teach you your duties. Just stay out of trouble and there will be another square meal waiting for you.' Jerome left him and disappeared into the kitchens. Even so early in the morning there was a bustle of activity in the food hall. Nell sat down next to Tom with a bowl of porridge. If nothing else, it was incredible to have food on a regular schedule. That fact alone cheered him a little. They ate quickly.

'You two, this way.' A short man in a dusty uniform rushed over to them. He had a distinct bald patch on his head and a heavily lined tanned face which spoke of long hours outside in all weather. Tom was easily a foot taller than him. They followed him back to the entrance hall. The sun was starting to come up and from every corridor people were starting to emerge. The air was crisp outside and the grounds were damp and slightly foggy. As they walked into the courtyard Tom stopped, staring up at the massive metal gates.

'You waiting for something friend?' said the balding man.

Tom glared at him. 'No. And I'm not your friend,' he sneered.

The man regarded him coldly. 'My name is Harse. I'll be your supervisor for the time you are here. Follow me to the stables. Be warned. Almost everything in there won't hesitate to take off an arm or a head.' They had to walk down a well-maintained stone path, close to the walls of the stronghold. Its path turned down sharply. Ahead was a separate but massive building. It was long with massive thick support beams. The smell of damp wood chips, hay and chaff filled the air. The doors of the stable where thick and heavy. They looked as though they were built to keep whatever was in that building inside. Nell could hear growls, snarling and stamping. Suddenly he wasn't so sure he wanted to go in.

'Come on.' Harse took them around the side to a smaller side door. He held it open, and they walked in.

'We keep a variety of species here. All need to be kept fed, watered, and cleaned out twice a week. Either of you boys ever mucked out a stall?' Tom snorted.

'I was a logger before I was dragged to this hellhole. No, I don't know how to muck out a damn stall,' he snarled.

Harse grabbed two pitchforks. 'Allow me to enlighten you.' He threw one to Nell and the other to Tom who caught it with a particularly nasty look on his face. For a tense minute Nell thought he might attack Harse with it.

'We will start here. These stalls are empty. Just scoop the dung into the wheelbarrows. We take the wheelbarrows through to the pit at the back. The pits get mixed with straw to make manure for the gardens and greenhouses.' The stench from the empty stalls was enough to stagger them.