Preparations

--

Chapter Five

Preparations

--

They travelled in silence back to the stronghold. Nell couldn't help but notice Sallos had seemed a lot more tolerant of him and his questions since he had been accepted into the hunter's program. He wondered if he should push his luck. He knew so little about hunters. His little village was hardly the place a hunter might visit.

Nell knew the stories just as everyone else did. The hunters were the highest tier in the demon hierarchy, answering only to the demon king himself. More than simple law enforces the hunter sort to kill the world's most dangerous creatures. Creatures so ancient and magical, the mountains themselves moved for them. Without the hunters many settlements, both human and demon, would be overrun by monsters.

Nell's new drack partner didn't seem to like being strapped to Shade. The smaller drack wasn't quite able to keep a similar stride to the black's long legs. He was pulled along, grumbling and growling.

Nell winced. He knew firsthand was it was like to be yanked along by the neck. He reached out a hand to the young beast but those slit like pupils fixed on him and the spiked tail struck out. Nell yelped, leaping back. The long spike missed his leg by an inch.

'Do not touch him. He doesn't know you yet,' Sallos said without turning around in the saddle. Nell jogged to catch up to Shade's massive shoulder. He had to strain his neck to looked up at his master. The demon looked like some sort of warlord, black leather and long curved horns gleaming in the afternoon sunlight.

'What happens now?' Nell asked.

'We have a few days to make sure you have all of your equipment. I will be teaching you your new duties as my apprentice. One of these new duties will be feeding both Thorn and Shade.' Well. That was something Nell could do. He had been feeding the animals in the stables already. He wanted to ask why Sallos had changed his mind about making him an apprentice, but Sallos simply moved on and Nell couldn't ask any more questions because jogging was taking his breath away.

The day was hot, and it wasn't long before his baggy clothes were sticking uncomfortably to his back. The burns that he received from the fire were stretching and itching with every step he took. His breaths were becoming laboured as he struggled to keep up. He gave up trying to walk beside Thorn. After the young drack had nearly stabbed him again Nell had gone around to Shade's other side. He had never felt so relieved to see the massive compound come into view.

'Wash yourself and go to the infirmary to get your bandages changed. I will meet you in the food hall for the evening meal,' Sallos said and swung from the saddle. Nell nodded, still trying to catch his breath through the stitch in his side. He caught sight of Todd who grinned at him. He was filthy and wearing a beige work apron, long timber nails and a hammer were sticking out of the pockets.

'Got yourself a drack aye? That's pretty damn impressive,' Todd said.

Nell gave a weak laugh. 'If you say so. So far, the only thing that I'm sure about is that it will try to kill me every chance it gets,' he groaned. Todd laughed.

'Well yes. They aren't known for being human friendly but, hey, you a hunter's apprentice now! You'll learn all kinds of things, including taming your drake. I'm envious, really,' Todd said jovially. He stretched and bent backwards, several joints popping.

'Sallos wants me to feed Thorn and Shade from now on,' Nell mumbled.

'Master Sallos. Don't let any of the demons hear you forgetting his proper title. It will still earn you a clip around the ear even if you are now an apprentice,' Todd said cautiously. Nell nodded.