Learning Pains

--

Chapter Seven

Learning Pains

--

There was no need for Sallos to wake Nell the next morning. Nell had barely slept at all.

Nell's master had risen with him despite the sun not evening peaking over the horizon yet. Sallos stoked the fight and brewed them both tea as Nell dressed. Nell accepted the cup eagerly and drank it down in slow sips, letting it relax his nerves.

'Thank you,' he croaked out. His master nodded.

'Go,' he said. Nell swung his bag onto his shoulder, but Sallos stopped him.

'No. You won't need it. Return for it after breakfast,' he said. Nell awkwardly set it against the wall and left, hoping he wouldn't get in trouble for leaving it behind.

With the sun still hidden, it was chilly in the courtyard. The group stood, lined up and silent. Thankfully Denzil was too lethargic to be bothered with any snide comments. Jeremy was waiting for Nell towards the back of the line. All nine apprentices were there. No one would be getting their heads shaved today. Maybe.

'Well, that's a start,' Cadric grunted as he strode into the courtyard. He gave them all a quick look over. For such a broad and elderly looking demon, the male was quick as a viper. Nell didn't see the demon move but seconds later the boy in front of Nell was wrenched from the line by his right ear. The boy cried out in pain, staggering.

'Did your mother dress you everyday, baby boy? Are you missing your ma's milk?' Cadric snarled.

The boy cowered. 'N-no sir!' he whimpered.

'You can't even put you damn trousers on the correct way,' Cadric spat, disgust evident in his voice. Nell glanced down. The boy looked even younger than Nell, maybe fourteen. He had dark circles under his eyes and had obviously not been paying enough attention when he had got dressed because he had put his trousers on back to front. Nell winced as Cadric twisted the boy's ear.

'Well, boy, strip them off!' Cadric barked. He let go the boy's ear and the human struggled to obey, pulling the trousers over his boots. No one said anything. He went to put them back on the correct way, but Cadric ripped them from his grip.

'Your fellow students can teach you how to fucking dress yourself but for now, you've wasted enough of my time. Back in line.' The boy gave one frantic, futile look around at his fellow apprentices. Absolutely no one moved.

'Yes sir,' he squeaked. Cheeks burning and ear a brilliant red, he stepped back into the line without his trousers.

'Well let's not stand on ceremony. Move it,' Cadric roared. The demon took off jogging and the class followed. Jeremy and Nell exchanged grim looks. They went out through the gates. They passed another group of older boys coming the other way. In the lead of their group was tight faced, grim looking demoness. These boys had a couple of tattoos each and were obviously in their second or third year. They were all sweaty and panting. They glanced at the boy with no pants and gave each other knowing grins.

Nell's class jogged on. The lines were starting to break apart. Denzil and several of the other nobles were still up at the front, their breaths light and easy. They were all fit and strong looking. As they jogged up several sets of stone steps, down a long ally between two fields, across a slimy mud lane and up a tall stony hill, their pace never wavered. Others were not so lucky.

Nell's breathing was harsh in his own ears. He had a stitch in his side and his new boots were hurting his feet. He and Jeremy had fallen further behind, but they weren't the worst of the group. There were still three others behind them including the boy with no pants. Cadric seemed to have boundless energy. He ran back and forth between the tail of the group right up to the front runners, barking at them to keep up or bring their knees up higher.