The Weapons

--

Chapter Fifteen

The First Tasks

--

Nell and Jeremy had tried to go up to the hospice but one of the nurses hurried out to tell them they were at maximum capacity and were not taking any visitors. The whole class seemed very shell-shocked with the exception of Sumaya who read from one of her textbooks in the food hall as though nothing had happened.

Feeling distinctly not hungry, Nell had given Jeremy a muted goodbye and headed for his room. Sallos was waiting for him. Wordlessly, Nell dumped his bag and padded over to his master. He had so many questions he wanted to ask but couldn't make his voice box work. Sallos wrapped his arms around his apprentice.

They stood that way for a long time, Sallos offering the kind of quiet warmth and comfort that settled some of the fear Nell held inside.

'Lorica informed the other hunters after the accident. The boy is alive but his career as a hunter is over,' Sallos murmured. Nell pressed his forehead into Sallos' chest, breathing in his scent of cloves and warm leather.

'I thought the healers could fix anything,' Nell said in a small voice remembering Marshall's broken wrist and Jeremy's broken nose.

'They are skilled in the magic of healing, but the boy's eyes were badly damaged. They may be able to restore some of his sight but not for many years.'

Nell listened to the deep voice. He shivered. 'What will happen to him?' He croaked.

'That will be up to the instructors to decide now. Lorica has already disowned him. She no longer cares what becomes of the boy.' Nell pulled back from Sallos, his own eyes wide.

'That's-' The voice that came out was high and loud. Sallos placed a finger over his lips.

'It is not for us to argue what a hunter does with his or her apprentice. Your only concern should be your studies. I was not under the impression you were close with the boy.' Sallos' tone was not unkind. Nell's eyes felt hot and prickly. He rubbed at them, not wanting to let tears fall in front of the man.

'Why does that matter? He was in my class. We trained together. He was a person with his own aspirations for the future. He wasn't just something to be thrown away because he's broken.' Nell hated how his voice wobbled. Warm hands took his own. Nell looked up and asked the question that terrified him the most.

'If I'm to injured to fight, will you abandon me to die?'

Sallos took his chin, forcing their eyes to meet. 'If you are unable to become a hunter, I will find a place for you elsewhere. Such injuries are rare, Nell. To lose his sight and sustain such massive injury and blood loss, it would be life threatening for him to attempt the exams. Be wise and learn from this. Don't let it break you,' the demon said. Nell took in several deep breaths, willing his galloping heart to slow. Finally, he nodded.

'Okay.'

He slept close to Sallos that night, using the man's body heat to ground him.

It was difficult going back to classes the next day knowing that they were now one short. Even Denzel seemed more subdued than normal and only sneered as Nell and Jeremy joined them for the morning run. Cadric showed no sign of noticing or caring that Florian was gone from their midst. The old demon probably didn't even know Florian's name, Nell thought bitterly. Nell had been very excited to see his weapon that afternoon but now he couldn't muster any enthusiasm.

'Cheer up. We'll go see him after dinner,' Jeremy said at breakfast, correctly interpreting his silence. Nell nodded and started on his bacon. After breakfast they went to wash and headed up the winding stairs to the tower room. With one empty desk, the room looked somehow that much bigger. They talked quietly as they started the now familiar process of moving the desks to set up for the sigils class. Once they were all seated in their usual spots with their damp cloths and pieces of chalk Arabella cleared her throat, entering from the still open door.