The Black Star

Chapter Thirty

The Black Star

Nell woke the next morning feeling completely discombobulated. As he blinked sluggishly up at the ceiling, it took his addled brain several long minutes to understand where he was and why. The day's travel had not been kind to him. He was stiff and sore all over. Ironically, sleeping in the soft bed had only seemed to make his aches more visible. At least on the road, travelling constantly, he hadn't had much time to notice them. He groaned as he sat up.

He must not had been alone in his pains because Sallos was still sleeping beside him, a rarity in itself. He watched the quiet rise and fall of the man's chest for a few minutes, slightly surprised that he hadn't woken the demon. Sallos was usually a light sleeper and almost always got up before him. Nell climbed gingerly from the bed and went to use the privy and put the kettle over the fire. By the time the water was starting to bubble, Sallos was moving.

'Morning sleepy head,' Nell said with some amusement. Sallos grunted as he sat up.

'Tea?' Nell offered. Sallos stretched, muscles shifting under midnight skin.

'I was thinking coffee and a proper meal,' his master said with a slight smile. At that Nell's stomach growled. Nell was instantly transported downstairs to where he knew there were tables groaning with breakfast foods.

'Yes please,' he moaned. His master snorted and stood. 'Get dressed then. Your uniforms are where you left them.' Nell frowned.

'Oh, right.' He had almost forgotten that he needed to change back into his usual apprentice attire. He dug into the dresser and pulled out his old uniform and put it on. It was at least an inch too short in both the ankle and the wrist.

'Umm...' he said with a lopsided grin.

'You've grown,' Sallos noted with something like affection. He ruffled Nell's hair, causing it to flop into his face.

'You need a haircut too.'

'I could just grow it out and braid it like yours?' Nell said half-heartedly.

'You may but wait a few years. Apprentice training is not fun with long hair. Especially the sparring,' Sallos said with an oddly sour expression. Nell had a sudden imagine of Denzel reaching out with a meaty hand and grabbing him by his hair. Then he paused because... Denzel might not even come back. Or Marshall or Jeremy. Nell gave himself a little shake. He couldn't think about that now. His stomach gurgled again.

'Umm, food?' Nell suggested hopefully. They ended up abandoning the kettle in favour of rushing downstairs to the promise of a luxurious meal. Nell hadn't minded the porridge and bread, but it had been months since he had eaten scrambled egg or bacon or...

'Gods,' Nell moaned as they stepped into the hall and were immediately hit in the face with the intoxicating smell of breakfast foods. Unable to help himself, he helped himself to a bit of everything he could reach. Even Sallos took a larger serving then normal before helping himself to fresh coffee. As Nell carried his plate, he paused. He normally sat with the apprentices. Demons and humans normally separated, sitting with their own groups. He recognised a couple of the apprentices. They looked friendly enough, one older girl even offering Nell a smile but...

He had gotten so used to eating with Sallos that it felt odd to part ways. Sallos paused, apparently sensing his discomfort. 'It is a pleasant day. Why don't we eat outside?' his master suggested.

Nell grinned widely. 'Absolutely.' They left the hall together and made for one of the smaller courtyards where they sat at one of the benches and ate with appetite.