Life in Solitude

--

Chapter Twenty-Four

Life in Solitude

--

Sallos squinted into the snowstorm, the way ahead nothing but swirling ice. He went by memory more than trail, the ground deeply buried. The snowfall was getting thicker by the minute, Shade now ploughing through chest deep snow. The drack huffed deeply, muscles straining as he cut through the drifts.

The weather had turned quickly, the wind picking up and driving hard from the north, taking them by surprise. The snares had all been empty. The lake would be frozen solid in a few more short days, not that the sun would now show itself properly for several months.

He headed for the cabin with single minded determination. They would need to get back now or die. As they weaved between the ancient trees it was the smell that drew Sallos before anything else. Even in the churning wet air, he caught scent of something that filled his mouth with saliva and set his canines to aching. Belly empty, body stiff with cold, Sallos urged Shade on.

Finally, the hill came into view. It wouldn't be a hill for long. Shade went straight for the cave. Sallos dismounted and stripped his beast of riding gear. Chest and flanks heaving, Shade stood trembling with exhaustion. The male drack had been with him for decades. He gave his animal a grateful pet, encouraging him to rest. Shade didn't need to be told twice, curling up next to an already slumbering Thorn and closing his eyes.

Sallos braced himself and headed back up into the storm. He fought his way into the cabin. The door was nearly ripped from his hand as he wrenched it open. He pulled hard, closing it behind him. The inside of the cabin was wonderfully warm and dry. With effort, he pulled his heavy sopping furs off and struggled out of his boots. He looked around for his apprentice and found the boy slumped over the table, asleep.

The smell inside the room was delicious and Sallos followed his nose to where a heavy pot hung over a low fire. Guessing that Nell hadn't eaten, Sallos took off the lid and grabbed down to bowls from the mantel. He gave the contents stir, nearly drooling when the large lump of red meat fell apart with a prod from the wooden spoon. He scooped the stew into the bowls and carried them to the table.

'Nell, wake up.' He shook the boy gently. It took some persuading. Sallos felt a twinge of guilt. Nell looked thin. The boy's hands had large blisters in places and his young face carried heavy bags under his eyes. He had pushed Nell hard, but he had been sure the apprentice could handle it. He was proud of him. Sallos gave him another shake.

'Nell, food.' Nell's head came up off his arms.

'You're back!' Nell's voice came out hoarse and slightly slurred. Sallos reached out, gently brushing a thumb over the boy's jaw.

'Yes, I'm sorry. It took us longer than we expected,' he admitted.

'Made you a bath, should still be warm,' Nell mumbled sleepily. Sallos nudged the bowl towards him and handed him a spoon.

'Eat.' Nell yawned weakly and spooned up some stew. Sallos started to eat his own. He barely fought down a groan. This was good, really good. Having primarily been living on a diet of hard bread, watery porridge and thin soups with whatever meat could be quickly boiled, this was paradise. They both ate in a ravenous silence. Nell knew the food must have been very well received when Sallos got up and refilled their bowls. Once his belly was full, Nell's body threatened to keel over sideways. Sallos helped him into bed. His apprentice was asleep even as Sallos wrestled him out of his shirt.

The demon stripped off his own clothes and strode towards the bath. His dark eyebrows rose at the sight of the nearly full, faintly steaming, water. This would have taken a bloody long time! A bar of soap and a cloth was waiting on an upturned bucket. Sallos stepped into the hot water. This time he did groan. He sat down, letting the water ease into his aching body, going almost soul deep. He closed his eyes, head falling back with a thunk.