Doubts

--

Chapter Ten

Doubts

--

Nell had slept horribly.

He sat at the breakfast table, eyes itchy and skin prickling with unease. Sallos usually didn't talk much but he hadn't said a single word to Nell when they woke. Nell had dressed in silence and gone down the stone steps to meet up with the rest of his class with apprehension building in his veins. His performance in this morning's run had been abysmal. Jeremy had tried to cheer him, assuming his downturned mood was to do with the scuffle they had with Denzel the day before.

'Cheer up, we have riding class this afternoon. You know how rubbish Denzil is at that,' Jeremy said, nudging him. 'Come on, have a bit of toast or something,' he insisted. Nell nodded but didn't try to eat anything.

He felt angry with himself as well as confused. Sallos had been right, he hadn't cared about sleeping beside the demon until Denzel had said all those things the day before. He wanted to ask if demons normally had... those sorts of relationship with their apprentices. He didn't dare ask Jeremy though. That was far too awkward. He didn't really want to ask any of the older students either. He already stood out because of his odd eyes and smaller frame.

He thought about asking Furcus. Jeremy's demon master was far more laid back then many of the other hunters. He didn't think the demon would mind the question so much. Nell glanced around but didn't see the orange and black build of the old hunter. His shoulders slumped slightly with disappointment.

In a daze he followed Jeremy to their first set of classes. He found it very difficult to concentrate on his lessons today. He paid for that mistake when some of the thick paste they had been preparing for botany had splashed up the side of the cauldron and burned the inside of his wrist.

He yelped loudly as a large yellowy blister began to form right before his eyes. Arabella clicked her tongue.

'Honestly boy, where is your head today?' she snapped, dragging him over to the sink to wash off the burning mixture. Several loud sniggers filled the classroom. Nell felt his face going red as he resumed his seat. Jeremy tried to catch his eye, but Nell determinately looked down at his textbook.

If botany was bad, linguistics was hellish. His writing had been so appalling Arabella set him an extra writing task on top of the one they had already been set. Denzel's laughter followed him everywhere that morning. By mid-day he was so miserable, he seriously considered taking some food back up to Sallos' chambers just to get away from everyone.

That made him wonder if Sallos would be in his chambers and if Nell could bring himself to speak to his master. He decided he couldn't and instead sat as at the farthest end of the table. He looked around again for Furcus but once again, the older demon wasn't there. Nell groaned miserably and picked at his rabbit pie.

He had visited the hospice to get the blister painfully drained, cleaned and wrapped. Alice clucked her tongue much like Arabella had. He saw the nurse quite often these days. Jeremy and Nell made regular trips to the hospice just as many of the apprentices did thanks to their rigorous classes. With her bright hazel eyes and soft freckles, Nell strongly suspected that Jeremy fancied her. He certainly developed an odd stutter whenever she passed.

Knowing that nothing short of a sudden missing limb would allow him to miss combat class, Nell thanked her blandly and trudged back down the long corridor and out into the stronghold's grounds. Jeremy was waited for him faithfully and they both headed to the arena.

Their combat classes had progressed to simple patterns. The melee classes were still taught with short wooden staffs or wooden knives. Apparently, they wouldn't be moving on to actual metal weapons until their fourth month. Nell was not going to complain about this. He always left the classes battered and bruised as it was.