Blades and Leather

--

Chapter Thirteen

Blades and Leather

--

Nell nearly screamed in frustration when he woke before sunrise to find Sallos gone. Again. He put on his shorts and made his way down to the pool, unable to mask his sulky expression. Jeremy took one look at his face and seemed to decide it was best to say nothing. Nell was grateful. He wasn't in the mood to talk.

He used the laps to loosen his tight muscles. He had wondered briefly if he could ask Mistress Arabella or Master Cadric what sort of creature lived in Hoarfrost Forest. He was sure they knew but he hadn't asked them yet. Partly because he didn't know if they would tell him but also partly because it felt as though he was giving up. He wanted Sallos to tell him. He wanted Sallos to trust him.

He was supposed to follow his master through flood or fire. Sallos had 'claimed' him, specially chosen him but lately Nell had seen less of the demon than ever. He couldn't escape the horrible feeling that Sallos wasn't telling him simply for the reason that he did not intend to take Nell with him.

Nell kicked his feet almost violently, taking his frustration out the only way he was able. He swam harder than he ever had before, his lungs burning and his legs cramping. He still couldn't catch up to Jeremy and that left a small niggling feeling of anger and inadequacy. Jeremy wasn't much older than him, wasn't much better at fighting but it certainly seemed as though Furcus would leave with Jeremy in the winter if the other boy passed his exams.

He probably would have fallen back into the pool if Jeremy hadn't helped him out at the end of the class. Nell was shaking all over.

'Thanks,' he said sulkily.

Jeremy frowned. 'No problem... Food?' Nell just nodded, still too entangled in his own thoughts and emotions to reply. He didn't want to be angry at Jeremy. The other boy was his best friend. He hadn't done anything wrong. It was Nell that was falling short.

He stayed in a rather horrible mood for most of the day. The day dragged on until the survival class. To his surprise, they were taken to the edge of the woods near the stronghold and Cadric pointed out the hunter's mark Nell and Jeremy had spotted that first ride out with their masters.

'These are hunter's marks. Blue is a popular pigment for the marks as it a colour that doesn't appear much in nature. Bright red, purple, white, and yellow are also used. Anything eye catching. Different symbols will tell you different things about the area, normally what kind of prey you can expect to find or if something has changed in the landscape,' Cadric said, picking up a stick and starting to trace symbols into the dried earth.

'Changes in the landscape, like a landslide?' Nell asked.

Cadric nodded. 'Aye. Or a fire. Things that might change the usual typography of the land.'

Denzel gave a low snort. 'Why should that matter?' he muttered disinterestedly. Then he yelped as the stick Cadric had been holding came pelting towards his face.

'Because, you fuckwit, a change in the typography means a change in prey and land accessibility.' Nell had to bite his lip very hard to stop himself laughing. Almost all of the symbols were made up of shapes. Triangles, circles, squares, and pentagons over layered meant various different things.

'Homework, retrace the basic land symbols with their meaning. Have it done by the next survival class.'

'That could have been worse. I don't think I got this one right though. Is this the one for trees down?' Jeremy asked, turning his parchment over. Nell squinted then shook his head.