Intro

Whats up! Its your girl Ebony, as yall know I grew up in the hood of Gary, Indiana.

A.K.A "Da Bronx" where most people get shot, killed, or jacked up for looking at a certain crew funny.

But grandma dont play that with me she see's me with a bright future, but who wouldn't I mean look at me.

Anyways, growing up around these parts I guess you learn quickly about reality : One day you could be here and the next you could be gone.

Grandma always said "As soon as those street lights turn on you should be right here at my door step and I aint playin' Ebony."

|Morning|

"Ebony,wake up! Time for school!" Grandma yelled out. I groaned opening one eye lid . "One more minute ma please!" I cried out.

"If you make me come in there we gone have some problems!" Grandma fussed and carried on with her hollering so I just got on up.

I always have my outfit planned the night before school, it saves the morning chaos. I walked out of my room and turned a right into the main hall and headed towards the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and combed out my pixie styled hair.

I walked back into my room and checked the clock, 7:00am.. just enough time to get dressed and eat mamas breakfast.

I grabbed my red long sleeved crop top, highwaisted jeans, and threw on my black Doc Martines, I admired myself in the mirror. "Damn I look good" I thought outloud.

I put my lip liner on and my favorite clear lipgloss, grabbed my book bag,walkman, and walked into the kitchen to greet my 13 year old sister Imani and my grandmother.

"Goodmorning Ma" I kissed my grandmothers cheek as she gave me a welcoming hug.

"Goodmorning my Ebony, will you be coming straight home after school?" She asked me as if she didn't just go ten bars on me earlier.

"I dont know just yet, I might kick it with Shanice today at the park with a couple of school friends."

Shanice was my bestfriend since diapers. We always had eachothers backs and NEVER let nobody run game on us.

She's super outgoing and knew all of the fellas to the most popular girls at our school.

Her household contains 3 brothers, a single hardworking mother, and a lazy uncle that just sits on the couch 24/7 watching reruns of GoodTimes and Sanford and Son.

"Alright Ebony, make sure you make it home by-" I hurried and cut her off "I know Ma, before the street lights turn on." I smiled.

"Alright, you best get you some breakfast." She shook her head and laughed.

I grabbed me a good 2 pancakes, scrambled eggs, toast  with jam, and poured me some orange juice.

"Goodmorning Mani, you good?" I asked my little sister.

"Yeah, I'm good. Oh, its something on your shirt" I looked down and she flicked my head up, man she play all day!

She was cracking up and I just mugged her.
Kids today, even mama was laughin'.

After a minute of being a little pissed I gave in "Alright, Alright it was a little funny." I finished my toast and grabbed my book bag and headed towards the door.

"Love yall! See yall later on!" I yelled headed out.

"I love you too baby be safe ya hear!? And stop all that hollering!"

"See ya later Ebony love you too!" Mani yelled back.

"Yes mam!" I pulled my headphones out that were connected to my walk man and turned on Loungin by LL Cool J as I waited at the bus stop.

|School|

The bells rung for passing period for first hour. I walked to my locker and grabbed all my books for the day.

As I was straightening my locker out I felt a arm wrap around my shoulder. I turned around and there was my life long bestfriend, Shanice.

"Whats up Ebony girl guess who having a pic nic after school!" She emphasized.

"Who?"I asked lowkey excited. It was almost summer and yall know what that mean: Parties!

"Hakeem girl! And you know he is fiiioneee you gotta come with me!" Shanice was a good friend yall, but im gone be real. We had an angenda EVERY DAMN DAY!

But thats what I loved about her, she was a party girl and wasn't afraid to take risk and have fun. My homegirl, my homegirl.

"Aw yeah? We there girl fasho!" I emphasized. "Aight Bet!" She said tapping my shoulder and walking off to class.

The bell rung for first period and everybody scrammbled to get to their classes. The thing I loved about school was no matter what I was always on my A game.

I made a good grade after another one, to get out the hood im doing everything to make sure my peoples are straight.

Mama always said "Im not leaving this house until they're carrying me out of it."

My grandfather died in his sleep back in 1992.Mama aint been the same since, but I respected her loyalty and her belief to heal the hood.

Hey yalll My name is Myesha, this book is based on real life events and I hope you liked the first chapter! This book is dedicated to my Great Grandmother, Dorothy L. Kidd❤️ i love you baby, R.I.P!