Chapter 26

><

"Tell me why I shouldn't cut you down where you stand," Xi'an challenged as she stalked into the group. The beautiful lavender twi'lek  flicked a knife back and forth through her fingers her whole focus locked on the dark T of Mando's helmet. She snapped into motion, whipping her body towards him, and leveled her knife across the space below his helmet.

Mando didn't flinch or show any of the reaction she had been looking for. "Nice to see you too," Mando said calmly, ignoring the blade that was less than an inch from his neck.

Mando may not have reacted, but as soon as the twi had moved Yara had tensed. The rising tension in the room set her on edge and she blamed herself for not having better control. She managed to stop herself from going for her blaster, but her reaction had been noticed.

Xi'an glanced once at her before turning back to Mando. She flashed a seductive smile and leaned closer to him, almost close enough to touch but she kept just enough space between them that she didn't quite rub up against him. "I missed you," she said in a low, husky voice. She looked up and down Mando's body. "This is shiny," she said gently tapping her knife against the beskar chestplate as though it has been the new armor she was checking out. "You wear it well," she whispered seductively.

Mayfeld looked over the group. "Do we need to leave the room or something?"

Ran chuckled as he stepped up a little too close next to Yara. "Little Xi'an's been a little heartbroken since Mando left our group," he was looking at Yara when he finished gaging her reaction. Xi'an hadn't been the only one to notice Yara's response.

"Oh, are you going to be okay sweetheart?" Mayfeld mocked Xi'an, completely missing the tension with Yara.

"Oh, I'm all business now," Xi'an said, flashing too much teeth although she didn't look away from Mando. "I learned from the best," she said and she leveled her blade at Mando's helmet in silent acknowledgement of their past.

Ran crossed his arms over his chest as he watched the pain of them. "All right lovebirds, break it up until you get on the ship. If memory serves whatever you decide to do midflight, is your business. Right now we don't have much time."

Yara went very still. It was clear there was history between Din and Xi'an, but she hadn't realized the history had been so physical and so wildly known. She immediately felt like fool. How had he not warned her before stepping into this group. Or perhaps, it had been her own fault for thinking she was somehow special just because they had shared one kiss.

Ran led the group toward a table with schematics laid out, but as soon as Yara took a step Xi'an was on her. She hissed aggressively and pressed a blade against the side of Yara's neck. "And who might you be?" she challenged.

"This here is Mando's girl," Mayfeld filled in helpfully flashing a wide grin as he was able to get in on the fun after Yara had insulted him.

Xi'an bared her teeth and pressed the blade until it bit into Yara's neck and drew a thin line of blood. Yara didn't move, she just stared in Xi'an's blue eyes and refused to react to the pain. She had endured far worse. "Are we done?" Yara challenged fearlessly.

"We don't need her," Xi'an growled.

"Mando says we do," Ran said with a casual wave of his hand as he leaned over the schematics. Although he had been the one to light the fire in Xi'an he had clearly lost interest and was ready to move on regardless.

Mando tightened his jaw beneath his helmet, it rankled him to have Xi'an so close to Yara, but there was nothing he could do. He never would have brought Yara along if he had known the unstable Twi'lek was still here.