Chapter 14

Hello All! Happy New Year! Let's ring in the new year with some Mando!

I wanted to thank you for all the amazing support. It isn't easy getting a new story off it's feet on Wattpad and I so appreciate all of your votes and comments. You are awesome!

Happy Reading!

><

They had been flying for weeks now and they needed a job. Fuel was expensive and they had burned through Mando's reserves trying to stay ahead of every two bit bounty hunter in the quadrant who thought they could take on the Mandalorian. Most didn't live to tell the tail which only added to his legend. Which was in many ways almost worse. They were leaving quite the trail of bodies behind them.

Things aboard the Razor Crest had settled into a routine when they weren't being actively pursued. It had taken a week for her to convince him, but finally Mando had relented and let her actually pilot the ship. When she hadn't crashed it and killed them all for an hour he agreed to flying in shifts when they weren't in hyperspace. It made things easier and both of them were able to sleep and rest.

Yara quickly learned that the silent and brooding warrior thing wasn't just an act he put on for the villagers. Even in the privacy of his own ship Mando rarely spoke unless she engaged him. Although he remained silent much of the time Yara was getting better at interpreting all the subtle tilts of his head, shifts of his body and endless sighing. She had learned to pay attention to body language and soon she thought was able to read him fairly well. He had given her space as well. As much as she thought they had grown close in the village he seemed to be working to keep space between them once they returned to the ship. It was strange, it felt almost like he had allowed himself to be a different person when they were in the village, but now that they were back he had wrapped himself in being the Mandalorian as surely as he wore the beskar.

They had dropped out of hyperspace an hour before. They were hoping to find a planet to resupply. Yara was flying and Mando was flipping through the star charts with a quiet intensity. Hyperspace was the safest place for them, but it was expensive to continue to jump. He had run a risk coming out of hyperspace when he did, but they were running low on fuel and there were only so many options for refueling this far out.

Proximity alarms began going off. Yara frowned and her eyes dropped to the sensors. She flipped on the deflector shields before she even identified what the scans were picking up.

"What's that?" Mando asked turning and the ship was hit.

"Kriff!" Yara swore and she jerked the controls to the side to get them out of range of the small fighter that had found them. Mando jerked, bracing himself against the back of the pilots seat so he wouldn't be thrown backwards. Behind them the child giggled.

Two bright red streaks of light shot past them as the pilot in the attacking ship missed.

"Let me," Mando said and he laid his hands over the top of Yara's so there would be a seamless switch. He took control as she slid out from under him and he dropped down into his seat. Yara staggered into her chair as the ship was struck again.

"We need to get out of here," Yara said and Mando just grunted in reply as he focused entirely on dodging the other ship's attacks.

The ship shook as it took another hit. Yara gripped the arms of her chair. Alarms started to blare and sparks erupted from the damaged systems as the ship took more damage.

"Hand over the child and the girl Mando and I might let you live," the bounty hunter's voice came over the open comms.

"Hold on," Mando called to her and the child.